Yep...JAFN

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by RevKev, Jan 20, 2013.

1. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Yep, Just Another Freakin' Newbie!

Well, I guess I sorta jumped the gun b/c I've already posted a few times before really introducing myself. I joined the forum a few days back, but have been lurking around off & on the past few months doing some research. No way I'll ever be able to thank you for all your help! You folks have really helped me narrow down the type trucking I want to do, as well as determine which companies I'm most interested in. That's why I searched for a place like this --- one where real truckers talk about their own experiences with various companies.

Trucking will be my third career actually. Wedged in between a little under 10 years of university & municipal recreation was 13 years as a youth pastor & another 4 as pastor. Most recent job was as a parks & recreation director of a small town in northeast MS. Even though I was the director, I was the first to pick up a paint brush, rake, shovel, saw or get on a tractor or mini trackhoe, whatever...to get the job done. Heck, church members used always be impressed that I was a minister that actually knew how to use a hammer & power tools! lol Just not much of an office guy. Always liked being "out there". And some say I am....out there. ;) When I tell folks I'm now about to start my 3rd week of a 4-week CDL course at a local community college, most think I'm REALLY out there. But this is something I've felt I've wanted to do since I was 14 years old. Many times over the years when I've had to deal with "uppidy church folk" (i.e., deacons, lol) or mayors & aldermen (geez! politicians...need I say more?), I've often looked them in the eye & said, "Y'know, I really should've driven a truck!" Of course, it's been my experience moving from one job to another, one profession to another, is really just trading one sort of headaches for another. Since the last set of headaches just told me out of the blue they'd decided to do away with my position all together, I figured now was the time. So here I am!

My bride is totally onboard & supportive. I've kept her up to speed on the type trucking I'm looking into, as well as given her info on which companies I'm applying to. Heck, I've given her so much info that she looked at me yesterday & said, "Honey, I trust you to choose what's best for YOU...what will make YOU happiest." Gotta love her! While we're in north MS now, we'll be looking to relocate to the Huntsville, AL area after I've finished w/my trainer & have been issued a truck. Katie's mom lives there. It'll be good for both of them to be closer to each other, especially while I'm out on the road.

Well, longer than it probably should've been. Guess that's about it. Oh, and I'm a huge college sports fan & a biker! Again, thanks for all your help!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There is a good company near Huntsville, A&R Transport. Check the website. Good money after you get some experience. My ex-neighbor works for them and makes $72K per year.

4. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Thanks, Chinatown. Appreciate the info. I'll definitely check them out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.