yet another newbe question

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by slick501, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slick501

slick501 Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    stonewall, la
    I have been reading this forum for close to 18 hours. Looking at entring the trucking feild. Wifw and I are seperated, no children at home. Hate my current work as a RN.

Likely will go the company sponorerd training route, low on funds and hopefully there is suppose to be a truck at the end of it. Want OTR, time OTR is irrelavent at this point.

Ok, question, 'generally' after obtaining CDL and one does the 28 days with a trainer, is is normal to have to team for an amount of time after the 28 days. I want solo ASAP. Just my preferance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    With PAM, I had 4 weeks with the trainer then I was on my own. I'm not sure if they're hiring now, The freight is real slow right now and it's really hurting them ( and everybody else)

Be careful, I've read that the schools are still accepting students and then can't find them a job. If you have a good job, you may want to wait til the economy picks up. I've had a lot of real slow weeks lately

4. Ohnoo

Ohnoo Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    CA
    Some do some don't it will all depend on the company. Has for the odds of getting a truck has soon has you finish training, slim to none.

5. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    It depends upon the company. Currently Swift is placing drivers in trucks quickly. But here's the thing: even if you're placed in a truck right away, there's the dispatch line up. At swift it's teams, O/O, mentors, solo. So you'll be at the bottom of the line for trips. Just a thought to consider.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. Socy Grad

Socy Grad Medium Load Member

I'm not a trucker, but if you have a job right now, you should consider yourself lucky and keep that job. It might be best to pursue other options when the economy improves.

Best of luck.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  7. ColoradoDreamin

ColoradoDreamin Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It's not normal to have to team after your training period but some companies do require it. As far as 28 days with a trainer it just depends on the company.

For example...

Tyson Foods 1 week orientation/8 weeks with trainer
    Conway 2-3 days orientation/7500 miles with trainer
    Werner 2 days orientation/300 hours DRIVING
    TMC 2 weeks orientation/5 weeks with trainer (if I recall correctly)

These are some of the companies that sent recruiters to my school. Now to make things even more interesting there are more and more companies that are pushing for teams or only hiring teams due to the economy.

Good luck with your search...

8. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    As a RN i would think you would make more money than starting as a new driver, i talked to a male rn once that made more than my 8 hour a day state job, at the time i was making 2800 a month, the rn was making 4000 a month, so if your making close to that, you might consider stayng there, cause you wont make that as a newbie driver, not even close.

9. charlie240

charlie240 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kannapolis,NC
    Hey Slick,
    I was an RN for 15 years and am making the transition back into trucking which is what I did prior to becoming a nurse. You will take a pretty drastic cut in pay but it is worth it to get out the ######## that is medicine these days. Follow your heart...money is not everything. I made right at $32.00/hr when I left nursing but would rather be happy. I was miserable and making everyone around me miserable as a result. I say go for it!!!!:biggrin_25525:

10. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

Hope his heart enjoys the scenery of the backside of a truckstop... if he gets a job with someone. money is not everything, but it is something you need to pay the bills. Your heart aint gonna pay for ####!

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    It's like anything else. It can take years to find the right fit. This is especialy true with trucking companies.

My sister has worked at St. Judes, several VA Hospitals, and a host of other privately owned hospitals. AND was on the verge of quiting and taking a driving job.

She finally found a fit and made $85k last year, for 3 nights a week. Happy as can be, and very glad she didn't learn to drive a truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.