Yoke Torque/ Air gun overtorque?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I will be installing the new seals on my Yokes shortly.

My rears are Rockwell 40000 lb 20145.

I think the torque is 900 pounds or a thousand pounds something like that.

I have a three-quarter inch Harbor Freight air gun that is rated to put out 1500 lb maximum torque. 1700 lb bolt breakaway force. I also have it running on a half inch line and my compressor puts out 180 lb.

This is the Harbor Freight composite air gun and it really is a monster. I have taken a parts and big stuff with no problems. I really like it because it's only a little heavier than a regular air gun but it puts out Mega Power.

I'm just wondering if I use that air gun to put the nuts on can I over torque them? Or should I just hammer away and forget it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You won't be able to overtorque them with that gun. My guess is the advertised torque rating of that impact in real world torque would be half the rating or so. Let er' hammer til the nut stops turning and call it good.

What I mean by that is if you actually check the torque with a calibrated torque wrench it would never come close to the numbers advertised. Not that it's a bad gun at all. This likely holds true for alot of air tools , not just HF.

snowman_w900, swaan, mslashbar and 2 others Thank this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I know they put those nuts on with a 1" gun at the gear shops. I would slap a little red locktight on there and brap it on. I really dont think your gun will over torque it

SAR and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Just brap it as tight that gun will go, thats what I did on mine from advice of another gentleman I know.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.