You Cannot Have A Dump Truck & A Road Truck Under The Same Insurance Policy?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by SiUQ1, Aug 11, 2022.

1. SiUQ1

SiUQ1 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN
    Here is my situation. I have a dump truck and a semi. The intent was to take the semi and lease it on with a company while keeping the dump truck for the rainy day (or for when I find a driver for it). I currently hold an authority for the dump truck (intrastate). From what I am told by the insurance company, both have to be insured but I can only be on one policy (as an owner and/or as a driver). So when I lease on with another company, they'll place that semi truck on their policy (with me holding bobtail insurance). Apparently there is no remedy unless I cancel my authority and park the dump truck but i cannot legally move either of the trucks without insurance. So, both are sitting in space idle until i figure out what to drop and move forward.

Either way, it's gonna be interesting. Drive the semi, get a stepdeck and make chunks. Or keep it local and run the dump truck, hire a driver and do real estate on the side with a podcast in tow. Hmmmmm.. whatcha think??

Either way... I may be selling one. 2012 cascadia or the 1988 Mack Dump Truck

The "in a pickle" award goes to me lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    A transfer of title of the dump truck to someone that you trust can be one way around the problem?

4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Never heard of such, maybe since your trying to do intrastate with one and interstate with other?

I’d call around and find another insurance provider and ask the right questions.
    I know a guy who has hoppers/end dumps/flatbed but they are insured with same place.

I’ve two insurance policies, one has two semi trucks on them without cargo/or anything but bobtail/empty trailer only, 100 miles radius.

Other truck and trailer is a commercial policy and i can swap trucks back and forth if one goes down.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    It might be a deal on what state you live in because GA is the same way my friend bought a Pete and didn't take the low trade in price they offered him and kept the older truck, then put batteries and tires onto it and sold it 8 mo. ago for a war chest of cash,

His Insurance company did same thing and he put it in his wife's name and sent a copy of bill of sale to insurance. agent and that was it, but the agent said if truck is in your name it must have insurance because so many people were hauling with no insurance and crashing?

6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Tell the insurance company the semi will be pulling an end-dump.

W923 Thanks this.
  7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Can you create separate LLC's for the two trucks? That way they have different owners.

baha Thanks this.
  8. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    Get two separate policies, call a different agent

Also, an '88 Mack dump truck could be considered vintage/antique. If you just wanted to keep it and drive it for fun Hagerty or Gulfway will insure it. That's what I did. Collector/antique plates are cheap and the driver doesn't need a CDL

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  9. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Not sure why you are running into this. I have one of each and no problem with Progressive through USAA. No MC for my work and both run interstate, so maybe that is the difference from your situation.

10. SiUQ1

SiUQ1 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN
    thanks my friends...

yeah the issue will be solved once i switch ownership... its just crazy, the restrictions. The idea was to run the dump truck and to run the semi (leased on with another company). Needed to have bobtail insurance and insurance on the dump. Since it's two different companies (with me as the owner/driver for both) the government has an issue with that. I was just trying to move the semi to the shop and the dump truck to the yard--- and ran into this mess. Glad i did and now I know. And the work around.

11. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    The other solution is to own the trucks as one company and lease them to your other respective companies. I have a $1 lease for the dump truck to my LLC because I titled it in my name when starting.

W923 and RockinChair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.