You Ever Heard of This?.....

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by 31N90W, Jan 23, 2017.

1. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Has anyone ever heard of, or know of any OTR outfit that will let you take two months off a year???? Obviously, without pay. I'm nearing retirement and I want to start taking two months off to travel abroad. So, I'm looking to work 10 months, then take two months off. Am I Dreaming, or are or are there any outfits out there that will allow two months off?

Anyone??

Eddie

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's a few drivers on here that do that. One used to work for TransAm, but has since changed companies. Another one worked for Swift. There's probably a couple of dozen or more that will let you do that. If nothing else, work for a temp service that furnishes truck drivers. If you know a company you like, ask them.

31N90W Thanks this.
  4. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Huh? "Temp Service Drivers?" Never thought of that! Great advice!!! Thanks. Actually, I was thinking of getting a gig as a school bus driver, but the pay is weak, about 24k year, with benefits. But at least one gets the summer and school holidays off. Again, Thanks for the info!!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where will you hang out overseas? There's drivers on here that do that in various countries. I have a home in Beijing; need a gas mask the air is so dirty. Sometimes can barely see the sun through the brown fog. Other small towns are ok though.

6. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I am fluent in Spanish and French; so I prefer to visit countries where I can speak the language. Although, I realize that English is more or less an international language. But, to answer your question, I'd like to start to visit (live in) South/Central America for two months of the year, and the rate of exchange between the US dollar and their currency is way and our favor. Eventually, I'd like to start to hit Europe, but I definitely want to see parts of China and Bangkok, especially Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

7. goose0324

goose0324 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Look into non force dispatch companies. You should be able to do it.

8. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Swift will let you do that. You'll have to turn in your truck before you go on vacation, though. I've been told that you can be gone up to 90 days before they treat you as a new hire. Your driver manager has a lot to say about that, though.

9. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I had a great experience at a company called TransForce. They have offices nation wide, so google them and find the closest one to where you live.

For the most part, they had me working for one company so I had a pretty regular routine. Occasionally they would send me on an oddball assignment. You do need to be comfortable with all types of equipment and you need to be adaptable and a self-starter. Sometimes you will be given next to zero training when you show up for an assignment, you're expected to just jump in the truck and go. Pay was a decent hourly wage with OT after 40 hours.

10. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    This may not fit your exact scenario, but wasn't there a company in the NW (Martin?) that used to advertise very flexible scheduling? Like you could work 3 weeks on, then 3 weeks off?

11. 28

28 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Its not uncommon for drivers who are all paid up to shut down
    for the icy winter months and return in spring . Less stress , less risk.

As long as you exit on good terms companies generally let you back in.

207nomad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.