You need a medical card first, to get your permit in PA?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Oct 16, 2017.

1. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I live in PA and I just called the DMV to see how much I need to pay to take the computer knowledge test for my permit. Guy says I need to provide a medical card when I go to take the computer test? That don't sound right to me. I said I'm going to a company sponsored CDL school they do a physical there but the company wants people to have a permit before they arrive.

Anyone from PA that can chime in here? The actual DMV is closed today it was a call center that answered I waited on hold for 20 mins. I think he's wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Don't need medical certification to take a written test at ANY DMV....the Medical Certification is for DRIVING. Tell the guy he's a nit-wit.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'd just go in and take the test.

I've learned, especially lately. You ask people an earnest question. They are locked into destruction. They will speak what is in their heart, instead of the truth. Don't bother to ask. Just do it.

5. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    That's what I was saying to him. I said I need a medical card to sit a computer? Lol

Then he said I need to pay to have manual restriction removed. I said I didn't even take the road test how can I have a restriction already when I haven't even done anything yet.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    That was changed this year in Jersey and PA. One of our guys just went thru the same thing. Luckily for him we have an in house medical department that does all of our physicals and medical stuff

I can see how that would suck for someone that doesn't have that available to them though. It's another expense that's pretty much a waste since the majority of carriers will want you to get another physical at their dr

7. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    So you do need a medical.card to take the permit test? I asked him is this something new he said yes this past December some changes went into affect but I still thought he was wrong. Why do you need a medical card to sit at a computer? You aren't driving. I said from what I'm told when I get to the school/ company first thing they do is give you a physical and issue a med card then you fax it to your state DMV.

8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Along these lines....
    Usually I get a very nice letter from the Governor's office. Inviting me to get my DOT physical.
    Bear in mind. I have had my company insist on the letter before giving me time off for the physical and paying for it.
    This year I got a very nasty letter from the Governors office. I wrote back asking what this donkey dung was. Response was entirely offensive.
    I can easily see why my Rep. to the US House is running for Governor this time. She's gonna win. I'm supporting her.

9. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I'll just find out tomorrow I'll drive the 20 miles just to ask then go back Thursday when I planned on taking the test because I need to study a bit more. The delicate flowers don't work today and have bankers hours. Wish I could get this done today.

10. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    Yeah, it made no sense to me either. We had a guy go there ready to take his permit test and they sent him away. Luckily for him he just went and got his physical from our in house dr and went back a couple days later

I think it might have something to do with drug testing. Once you get your medical card you're name is now in the computer to be picked for random testing. That's how it is at my company anyway- either way, it's definitely different than it's been for many many years.

11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Somebody in government got paid off. Just so the rich Doctors could make more gravy money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.