You think your miles are low?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Biscuit75, May 24, 2009.

1. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

I finally got home a week after orientation and it just so happens to be the long holiday weekend. So I was going through some things here at home to find what all I needed to put in the truck. I happened to come across an old box in the closet that I had no clue what was in it. Well, I found a book about trucks and started reading it. It's all about the different companies over the years, some that have come and gone, and their history's.

In the section about GMC trucks, it tells the tale of the first husband and wife team to make the first transcontinental trip in a truck. In 1916, driving a Model 31 GMC, Mr. and Mrs. William Warwick drove from Seattle, Wa. to New York City. This trip took a little over two months and covered over 3600 miles. That comes out to roughly 100 miles a day!

So when you are stuck in a truckstop waiting on a load and are generally upset that you may only be getting 2000 miles for that week, remember Mr. and Mrs. Warwick. We've come a long way.

MountainMama and GuysLady Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Those units werent known for speed.
    Heres what it looked like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2009
    PharmPhail Thanks this.
  4. Elvenhome21

Elvenhome21 Heavy Load Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Sheboygan, WI
    i think your back and butt would hurt so bad that you would need to take that long to go that many miles on that bad of roads.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Did the article say whether or not they made their appointment time? :biggrin_255:

6. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I see the problem here, GMC truck. Too many trips to the repair shop. Now, had they been in a Ford truck, that trip would have been completed in less than a week.

7. Elvenhome21

Elvenhome21 Heavy Load Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Sheboygan, WI
    I would say that would be a stretch. But I wonder how many points they went through in that trip. Or did those trucks have a magneto in them.

8. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    No, they were way late. They got a QC to come to the nearest terminal, where the were promptly told to clean out their truck, and to get home the best they could. Plus, their DAC was dinged, and neither could get a job driving again.

9. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    LOL funny I agree they should of gotten a Ford lol

10. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    What I want to know is were those 100 miles a day running team or not?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.