Young, no experience, insurance problems

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Timmy Fran, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Timmy Fran

Timmy Fran Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Hey guys! (This is my First post!)

I’m 23, based in Chicago (I dont mind moving) & I’m getting ready to start an OTR career. I’m agressively seeking the highest pay possible, and independence, but I’m having difficulty with companies insuring me (I have 1 ticket more than a year ago & no accident history). I just recieved my CDL by studying online and renting out somebody else’s truck. (Call me dumb, but I did it in half the time & a quarter of the $$.)

There’s a company that wants to pay me well ($0.60/mile, new trucks & all, no long term contracts) but they’re a little sketch & want to have me training and driving with insurance under somebody else’s name. I’m trying to understand the full risk implications this would entail.

What happens if I get pulled over and the insurance is under somebody else’s name ?

(I’m open to trucking references too! Preferably legal () with GOOD pay. - If that’s allowed on the forum)

Thanks for your answers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    In Chicago you're going to have to learn the difference between W2 pay and 1099. 1099 will gross you more pay to begin with, but your tax burden will be much greater and you'll have no protections like unemployment and benefits like health insurance and a 401k. That's not even getting into the fact that 1099 pay in most outfits it flat out illegal.

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  4. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    I understand that 1099 pay is for independent contractors. I prefer that scenario.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    1099 you may bear any liability in an accident, which can run into the millions of dollars. There are law firms that specialize in suing trucking companies and drivers and they're experts at it.

OK, you got your cdl in "half the time & a quarter of the $$", but still unemployed.
    Try Craigslist and maybe you'll find what you want. Make lots of phone calls and leave lots of messages.

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I thought you wanted legal. Anyway, if you want good 1099 pay you're going to want to look for 70cpm and up to compare to current well paying W2 companies paying 50+cpm.

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  7. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    @Chinatown

So the only legal way to go is W2 employee? (Sounds illogical) and isn’t that what insurance is for - Accident risk?

70cpm.? Without experience? I’ve been looking in the wrong spot then!

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do; just advising on some pitfalls, expensive pitfalls, you may encounter.
    .70 cents-per-mile isn't much money when you have to make your own deductions for taxes, such as federal, state, social security, workers compensation, plus no medical or retirement benefits. Legally, you must file taxes every 3 months, but many drivers ignore that and still file once a year.

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  9. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    @TBON3

I think I would still prefer a 1099 situation.
    But where are the .50cpm w2 and .70cpm 1099 companies in Chicago, you know of any off the top of your head, or should I give Craigslist’s a shot?

Thanks guys

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can make average $1500 weekly on W-2 working for FFE (Frozen Food Express) running teams doing LTL. You'll have a full benefits package there also. They have a terminal in Chicago.
    @TravR1 can give you tips on FFE; he works there.

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  11. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Look for white Volvos with Russian names

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.