Your favorite Tall Tales and Lunch Counter stories.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dockbumper, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    You're going to laugh. Head of Stevens safety dept has told that story his was a double parked car. They called the police. Police tried to locate the driver. Couldn't. Said car was blocking the only way into the place. Line of trucks stacked up. Cop said eff it. Drive over it. Supposedly all the trucks had to do it. By the time they were done. The front was crushed and it was ticketed.

Bud A., D.Tibbitt, Dumdriver and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    LOL...He tried to block everybody who called him out or didn't agree with him. That was a long list.

In all fairness, though, he tried to be helpful when he could. He was just outdated, occasionally heavily medicated, and he liked to spin yarns.

Bud A., Freddy57, Cowboyrich and 9 others Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    [​IMG]

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    One of our guys had the same thing happen to him in down town SanFrancisco. Narrow street, cars illegally parked, truck causing massive jam...you know the story.
    The cops showed up, took a look around, called for three wreckers and towed the cars away that were parked illegally, Our driver made the delivery and left. No muss, no fuss,
    I don't think dragging the trailer over the cars was even discussed. I hope not anyway.

Bud A., Freddy57, Cowboyrich and 9 others Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have never studied it, but I would imagine a cabover with that flat face would need one heck of a powerful engine to push it. All I know is wind speeds of 140 MPH are Category 4 hurricane strength!

7. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I preemptively blocked him years ago, I just couldn't tolerate him. And that's saying something, I think he's the only guy I ever blocked on here.

Hammer166, dunchues, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Same here.

I made the list when he said he let his CDL go because some clown at the Arkansas DMV told him if he certified Tier Two, he'd be placed on a list of drivers who would be recalled to driving in a "National Emergency", driving reefer trailers full of dead bodies.

He didn't mind the dead bodies, but the reefers would be indistinguishable from trailers full of food, and would be subject to attack by bands of armed "predators".

I asked him "under what rule or authority could you be 'forced' to drive a truck in an emergency? Who would do the forcing, and what would be the consequences of refusal?"

Well, he gave me one of his patented "non-answers", and I asked him again more pointedly. He replied with a long, rambling description of the National Incident Management System, with excruciating detail about the "red" and "green" zones, and STILL not answering the question.

Pretty sure he Ignored me after that, without so much as a "You and I are finished here".......

But yeah, the stories of 3 cement trucks doing 120+ mph over (whatever bridge name he remembered that day) in Virginia, at the height of the 55mph speed limit, in one of the LEAST TOLERANT STATES for speeding by CMVs, pretty much tell you all you need to know about the man.

9. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    In short, a legend in his own mind, and never let facts confuse his opinion.

10. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    #2 is actually possible
    Accelerated selection starts during dep
    But he’d be a bad mfer and have to be discharged for serious injury or being a #### bag.

Bean Jr. and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    While we are not close friends I have met Don Shipley several times and have listened to him speak. From my home, I can look across the Elizabeth river over to the Little Creek Navy base where the east coast Seals are based. It has been my pleasure to meet many REAL Seals both Active Duty and Retired over the years! These people are a VERY close group that generally stays closed off to outsiders. If you are sitting in a bar or some other place like a lunch counter and hear someone say they are/were a Seal the likelihood of them being a real seal is about as likely as @REO6205 giving me a "C" note tonight!

I can't say this strongly enough. Seals are legit terrorist targets especially if they go mouthing off about who they are. This puts them and their families at extreme risk.

Bud A., Freddy57, Cowboyrich and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.