Your favorite thing about working for Schneider...least favorite...?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by tbrown_sd, May 27, 2015.

1. tbrown_sd

tbrown_sd Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Knowing that everyone has opinions, and that what works for some with one company may not work for another, I am trying to gauge the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding Schneider. Where my husband is looking at a company driver position I would prefer to hear from those that drive/or have ever driven, for Schneider.

BTW: They're calling him back for both So Cal regional and team positions. While teams make more, his experience in the past was that what someone first tells you when you're looking for a team partner, they often show themselves to be very different, if not downright weird, i.e. "I can only drive during the day, I fall asleep driving at night..." I don't know what would ever have someone consider a driving position--especially team!

I see the term "bottom feeder" used a lot (with them, and some of the other mega carriers)--wondering why.

Thanks much.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    driver mills that "train" solely to get cheap drivers often are called bottom feeders. Or at least that's what I've observed.
    They'd rather have a noob behind the wheel than pay an experience driver what they're worth.

But hey somebody has train drivers and give them a chance to prove they won't run people over or drive off a mountain. Sad part is a lot of so called "training" by these companies is really teaming with a trainer asleep in the bunk. Or trainers that want care more about getting miles out of a noob more so than training them the right way.

I'm an IC here but what I do like is all the open window drop and hook freight and terminals and drop lots everywhere.
    What I don't like is they're a bit unorganized and too many 10+ year old trailers on the road.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. Silverking

Silverking Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Edgewater, FL
    I like that they have a lot of dedicated positions. I have found over the years a good dedicated account works better for me. I like the consistency. As far as working for a huge company, some of the good things are health benefits, 401k, vacation, paycheck is always in the bank on Friday. New Tractors.
    Some of the bad things, Schneider is cheep as hell in my opinion. No holiday pay. No idleing trucks for the most part. Fuel stops tied to bonuses. Big company politics.
    Having worked for both large and small truck companies. They both have there goods and bads.

tbrown_sd Thanks this.
  5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Coming from an IC here, I'd never be a company driver here.
    There is worse out there for sure but company drivers get cheap trucks and cheap pay.

tbrown_sd Thanks this.
  6. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    I would think that having everyone think I was a construction barrel

unloader Thanks this.
  7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    no more new orange tractors. all white and the platinum colored ones now.

tbrown_sd Thanks this.
  8. tbrown_sd

tbrown_sd Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I sure wish it was easier to find a good company! My husband likes the company he's with now--mostly--but they don't pay for crap either: 35 cents and 8 cents of that is per diem! He's got 3 years current experience; 5 if you go back 10 years like Schneider would do (he was out on medical disability in 2011 through 2012). His currently company also has the most laughable 401k I've ever heard of!

We live in San Diego. It seems a lot of companies hire out a little further north, but there's not a lot of freight coming THROUGH here. Anyone that can toss out some thoughts of other companies, I'd appreciate it.

9. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Might try PM'ing Chinatown. He's always good at finding stuff like that.

Google does okay, but it's hard to pick through what's BS and what's truthful sometimes.

What I like:
    Their focus on safety and getting it done the right and legal way. They also do seem to value the drivers they have, but it depends upon location I've heard.

What I don't like:
    The company stance is my way or the highway, so some of their policies irritate me. (I cannot stand being micromanaged, my dbl is guilty of micromanaging as well.) I strongly dislike the stance on sleep apnea, and the company they use to handle it (ample complaints about them online, some legit some not.). My last complaint is their cheapness, any repairs are done in the absolute cheapest way possible; this is perhaps doubly true at the atlanta OC as the mechanics blame any issues on the driver and I've gotten my truck back from pm's with more stuff broken that I have to get fixed later.

While I appreciate Sni giving me a place to start, I must say that if I'm going to get along in this industry I won't be staying with Sni. Better than most starter companies or megas, but certainly not the best overall.

10. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    That's total BS from someone who never drove company for Schneider. You can do well as a company driver for Schneider, there are lots if miles, and the freight is plentiful. Also, the company trucks are late model freight liners, and well maintained. You could do a lot worse than work for Schneider as a company driver.

11. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    ...actually company trucks are bottom rung basic models. Sure, they look nice inside and out but that doesn't mean they aren't cheap.

Not to mention freightshakers. Not a bad brand but they do have that name for a reason. ...don't even ask me about internationals, and I pull lighter loads.

The trucks themselves are relatively well maintained, but the "fixes" Sni pays for often enough are only band aids that never actually get fixed. And I've picked up some trailers I'm surprised the dot didn't stop me for a level 1 just based on looks. (It would've passed all the same. If it isn't safe, I don't move. Period.)

The rest is easily true. If you're willing to do the work then the money is there for the taking, every Friday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.