Your Opinion Hauling Fuel For Truckstop?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tscottme, Dec 2, 2017.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My worry is the possible burnout on 60 hour weeks. My previous longtime job required 50-60 hour weeks without OT and only 1 day off. I burned out. That was for JIT manufactoring so it was go, go, go. Previous job was exact same trip over and over for a year. No variety of any sort. This will have variety, OT, 2 days off each week. How can I accurately predict if burnout happens.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

Their CSA is lower than a snake's belly for driver, equipment, and HazMat. So it seems they take care of trucks.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Doing a set run like that can be boring but sometimes boring is good. As to burnout...that's up to you.
    Most guys that get steady tanker jobs never want to do anything else.
    Me, I'd take the job.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I wouldn't worry about burnout, fuel hauling isn't like anything else. More laid back, don't rush and "F" something up, and when your hauling hazardous they shouldn't push you. Some truckstops already have the hoses connected, just hook up to the truck and let it fly. Ask about safety bonuses, and what your 2 days off are, might not be weekend days. Same run every day? What about waiting at the rack, paid? You won't be the only one hauling, should be a truck in there every 5-6 hours or so, depending on sales.
    I'd grab it, better than gas.

REO6205 and tscottme Thank this.
  6. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've never hauled fuel so I don't know too much about it, but don't you have to wait sometimes at the racks and also while unloading at the truck stops you deliver to? That's all paid time that counts toward your 60 hours. Don't know what your previous job was, but did it have all that paid waiting? 60 hours might not feel so bad considering you're not sitting behind the wheel the whole time. Just my 2 cents.

tscottme and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. tscottme

This job and my last hourly job paid for all hours, waiting, driving, load/unload, breakdown etc. It was VERY time pressured because we were feeding a manufacturing assembly line. I burned out about 5 years after they required us to give up 1 day off. They never paid overtime, but once we were required to work 6 days, for 1st tome in 13 years, we worked over 40. Those days each day was EXACTLY like the next. So my burnout could have been the routine and/or the straight pay for all hours. This job is 10 more hours, 2 days off, overtime after 40 & holidays.

I appreciate all the replies.

Pianoman Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

I would be paid to wait at the loading racks. There are quarterly bonuses. My days off would not be weekend, but I prefer it that way. My day would have variety of unload locations, not cookie-cutter bid runs. Trailers can haul diesel, gasoline of various grades. Most unloads look to use above ground hoses that stay at the truckstop. Other than the 60 hour weeks it's ideal.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Just a thought...while you're unloading watch some of those OTR guys watching you. A lot of them would like to have a job like that.
    If you're going to a variety of stations, that's good. You'll be in and out of the same places often enough to be familiar with how to set up for the fill spouts but not so often as to bore you out of your skull.
    One of our trucks does three or four loads a day to the same truck stop. Same place, same loads, day shift with Mondays and Tuesdays off, every day. He's had that same run for fifteen years. His night driver has been doing it for about ten years now.
    I'd be a basket case by the end of the first week but they love it.
    We don't even dispatch them. They get their orders from the customer and all I see are the load tags in the in box at the end of the day.
    LOL...the night guy usually goes out after I've left for the day and finishes before I get back in the morning. I talked to him on the phone the other day and told him to send us a picture of himself so we don't forget what he looks like.

Rugerfan and tscottme Thank this.
  10. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Oh I see. There may not be any way to know until you try it. I know from experience that two days off makes a huge difference. In my experience more money only helps with burnout if it means you don't have to work as much. Good luck with your decision.

x1Heavy and tscottme Thank this.
  11. tndriver

tndriver Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2011
    mid south tn
    I watch fuel haulers while my trailer unloads. Personally I wouldn't do it but I'm also pretty happy with my job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.