Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by eskimoJT, Oct 18, 2016.

1. eskimoJT

eskimoJT Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I have a question for anybody. I'm not new to the trucking industry, been driving 18 years now. I've done various fields, Otr, regional, oilfield (regional & heavy haul), and now I'm back to otr. I'm thinking of purchasing a truck & trailer and running my own authority. I've done a lot of research, talked to other O/O I know, but I'd like to get your opinion. In today's market, fuel dropping the way it did, etc. is it worth it? Can I make a living? Time away, working long hours, and keeping the left door shut are not issues with me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You
    Eskimo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    No offense, but After 18 years I think you can just about answer your own question. I say yea,, it's worth it. If you have a plan, prepare yourself financially, you can live a pretty cool life. But don't expect for it to be easy or just a drive and stop type of day. Running your own truck is almost a 25/8 type of life. Because you gotta stay ahead of maintence, turn some of your own wrenches, be the financial planner, stay ahead of the regs, read up on everything trucking and keep all the info that works for you and discard the rest etc etc etc...

I would suggest running leased unto a carrier first, one that's percentage pay and perferebly self dispatch... But I mean,,, if you prepare yourself good enough I guess you could skip that and go straight to your own numbers... For the record I don't run my own numbers but maybe one I will when I feel it's worth it and I'm all the way ready...

Good luck,, all the hating type people will say don't do it and etc,,, but if you are disiplined, can plan for the future and use the head on your shoulders you should do fine ,,,,, IF this is REALLY, what you want...

So pick a good truck, pay cash if you can, keep your overhead LOW as possible (this means business & personal), live frugal as possible during your build up and easy does it.

Ps: if it was easy then everyone would do it!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Socal Xpress and fordconvert Thank this.
  4. TGUNKEL

TGUNKEL Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Spokane,Wa
    It can be done but it isn't easy.

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    That's my goal - own authority.

But every time I run the numbers, it makes more sense for me to stay where I am as a company driver. $80K+/ year with benefits, home every night but one (by choice), no weekends, and 1200 miles or less per week. And health insurance. That's a big one.

Unless you have access to direct freight without having to rely on the spot market, it's going to be a long road in today's economic climate.

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Making a living off of load boards exclusively is not an easy task, no matter what type of trailer you pull. It can be done though. Best thing you can do is get yourself direct customers from your home area to get you out. Then broker loads coming back. All the while keeping your eyes peeled for shippers on the other end that you could get in with to get you back. You may need to make a triangle for this to work.

7. eskimoJT

eskimoJT Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be easy in any aspect. I look at it like this, I'm already in somewhat of an o/o frame of mind. I run like one (hardly stop) gotta get the job done so I can start another. I work on the trucks, mainly because I hate to sit on the side of the road.

As far as loads go, I do plan on using load boards.....at first. But by doing so, my plan is to pick up regular loads from shippers, maybe even try to get some contracts. I've actually been looking at a few boards lately, just to see what's going on. To my surprise, my area has massive amount of loads being shipped, both short 200-300 miles and a fair amount 1000+. It helps that I live within 45 min of 3 major shipping lanes, I20 & I30 for east and west, plus US59 for north and south.

Maybe I should know the answer, or at least have enough knowledge to figure it out. But, honestly, I've never really put much thought into it until fairly recently. I've basically decided that I'm tired of putting it all into somebody else's pocket and never having anything to show for it at the end.....it's my turn, lol. On a good year I'll probably do about the same as most company drivers, less most of the time. There's something at the end tho.

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    With that said, what's at the end? A wore out truck and no money to replace it?

I just don't see having all the liability that goes with this for company driver pay, or less.

KenworthGuyNH and SL3406 Thank this.
  9. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    You can make it out here as an owner operator with or without your own authority. My first two years as an O/O I was leased, then ran under my own authority for four years, and now am back to lease again. I am enjoying being leased on again because it is much less headache, I have lower operating costs and higher profit margin.

The bottom line is you don't know unless you try. You may want to lease to a motor carrier first to see what being an O/O is all about and then transition to your own authority. That is my suggestion and has worked for me. But with 18 years behind the wheel, getting your own authority maybe just the spark you need.

10. eskimoJT

eskimoJT Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.