Your opinion

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by biggi1996, Dec 1, 2017.

1. biggi1996

biggi1996 Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Which truck do you think is better for local flatbed work, Mack or Freightliner

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    What is better, Mercedes or BMW?

4. biggi1996

Dec 10, 2014
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Generally speaking, I'd opt for the Mack. You've got to take other things into consideration, though, especially with trucks that old...such as parts availability. If I had to drive 3 hours to the nearest Mack dealer every time I needed a part where Freightliner had a dealer in town? I'd buy the shaker. What good is a truck you can't get parts for? How far are you from the respective dealers and parts sources?

6. biggi1996

Dec 10, 2014
    Not far at all. Which truck do you think would be more fuel efficient?

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Perty vauge questions.
    Answers don't mean a pinch of coon.
    So many variables we can not even begin to give an accurate answer.

Geez oh here' is an idea!!!

How about for starters listing the specs of each truck , oh and maybe ya, maybe what type engine they have. Do you think maybe just maybe that might be helpfull???

8. biggi1996

Dec 10, 2014
    Sir I included the links in the above post. But thanks for replying

SavageMuffin Thanks this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Between those two trucks? The Freightliner. It has a 100 hp advantage. It will run circles around that Mack and probably get better fuel economy.

stwik, Oxbow and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive done freightliner and Ive done macks among other things in flatbed work. It's not the TRUCK that is the problem. Its YOU the driver and how you do the job that matters.

The one freight shaker I had was a daycab with a long nose and a humongus engine and a wonderful beast. But would have difficulty getting into small spots that the mack can get into easier. I have also done the shaker cabover from the 87 era which is not that bad for flatbed work. It's not... fantastic.

Ultimately a mid 90's new mack day cab with the tool box on the catwalk and short gearing among other goodies was exactly what I wanted in local flatbed work during winter going to Altoona each morning up 56. It was able to maintain 40+ mph at 80000 pounds versus say 19 for the shaker cabover upgrade. And was a mountain goat on the ice coming up and coming down most especially.

Because of that I will love mack forever. However I have had petes, volvos etc in flatbedding and they all did rather well. The volvo in particular. A midroof sleeper with a rockwell 9 on a M11 cummins, it's small for the giant coils on that Ravens covered wagon 48 foot spread, but speed is the liability, being able to get around problems with a 52000 pound coil 24 feet long and god knows how high tipping on that deck back there was where it did well.

But all trucks eventually need shop support. I hope you have a full shop where you are and where you are going with that. That will determine what truck you buy. Not your preferences.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.