Your personal experiences good bad and ugly with the DOT

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bazerk Wizz Bang!, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Bazerk Wizz Bang!

Bazerk Wizz Bang! Medium Load Member

The boogie men, all truckers are scared of the freeks. Kinda cool to get a list of actual experiences truckers have had with them. Had strange one the other day gave me the idea.

Coming out of PA hit one of those makeshift scales. Long line of trucks ahead and long line behind me. I hit the slow down few hundred feet before off ramp and rode on the shoulder to protect my ace from a potential speeding trucker or car doing something stupid at last minute. Truck behind me follows suit and so does rest straddling the rumple strip. Roll across the scale and its just a pole with a DOT officer there on the scales. He freaks out. I had my window open as I do most of the time. Was going the same speed as other truckers about 15 MPH. As soon as I get close starts screaming at me to pull over my truck NOW! My nerves are shot, I am freaked the "L" out. Puts his hands up to stop the truck behind me and runs up to my truck and I bring it down a gear to stop. Jumps on my running board almost before I am stopped and yells "how fast were you going driver?" My nerves settled a bit replaced by puzzlement, (the way he approached me was thinking there was maby a dead body hanging on my truck or something) "bout 15 MPH sir?" "15 MPH? Let me see your logs" Told him I had E-logs and could fax them to him, looks at me "you have electronic logs??" Yes sir. Walks away turns off the yellow lights signaling the trucks into the scales and goes into his squad car after the last truck goes threw. All of a good 20 minutes later he comes out walks up to my truck and in a surprisingly soft kind voice says something like "You have a safe trip, and take it easy out there driver" The standard yes sir, thanks you sir and slowly shakin like a dog sheetin a cactus take off. I know 2 days a go on the I-80/I-81 w/s in PA there were bears seemed like every 20 miles or so on interstate, thinking maby he got some bad info from one of them perhaps mistaken identity regarding me, not sure but really puzzling.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    They're cool with me, I'm cool with them.
    I was a lucky participant of a level 1 inspection a few years ago. I pulled around back. A DoT officer met me at the truck and told me to bring in my logs and my paperwork. I asked him how I log this in the comment section (as far as location goes). He gave me a polite answer. I logged it like he told me. Brought my paperwork in. He looked everything over. Typed up his report. We chatted a bit while he was finishing up. He said everything looked good and sent me on my way.

Oh this was in FL on I-75 a little bit before Wildwood (heading south).

4. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Florida is good for that

123456 Thanks this.
  5. AXE

AXE Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Wyoming Port of Entry around Christmas time, the lady brought in a bunch of home baked goodies for the drivers!

6. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Noticed them doing roadside inspections on several van trailers the other day in KY and Tenn. Somebody said that Nashville to Louisville is a major drug corridor and this is what they're after. Had one driver cuffed and was busting the seal on his trailer at Bowling Green.

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Sounds more likely he was looking for that paint scheme / company truck? Perhaps some one else blew through there and pissed him off so badly that he figured they were all like that. Your e-logs saved you, no easy way to fake them.

8. Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    every diesel bear that i talk to was polite. it don't do any good to get them mad at you. a 10 to 20 min. stop could last all day, so be polite back at them even if they are having a bad day.

9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Bazerk Wizz Bang, your e-logs definitely saved you. He had it out for you. Paper logs, he can always find something wrong. I heard the log book violation is now up to $1,400. And believe it is going to get worse. I think there will be court appearances, and lawyers needed in the future. I run the qualcomm. And now going back to 10hrs driving. O/O will be sitting more than driving. Company drivers will stay closer in there areas. Industry falling apart.

uptownkid Thanks this.
  10. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    In 4 years of driving I have been inspected about 8 times. Once in arkansas by a trooper who pulled me over to do a "paperwork" check. He was unprofessional with an attitude. Then in nevada same thing, pulled over for "paper" check. This guy was real cool. Another time in arizona, and they also were nice guys. The rest of the inspections were at cali scales and they were cool. I passed all the inspections except arizona got me on a bald trailer tire, and that happened in the first 2 months of my driving career.

11. SmokeyCowboy009

SmokeyCowboy009 Heavy Load Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Watertown, WI
    my 1st time i had a level 3 was about 3.5 yrs ago. I was nervous as ever having not know how it was goin to go down. But the officer was very nice and helped me through the process. Even when i had forgetten to bring in the trailer regis. he let me run back out to get it. past with fine colors and had no problems.
    The issue was not that im scared or nothin of the officers of any dept.
    I respect them and and am very courteous. I even wave at some as i go driving by. you should see their faces when that happens. It baffles them like crazy. Now im sure some of you guys and gals out there wonder why. I dont respect them just becuz their cops or dot or any other branch, but for their job position. Just like us they have a job to do. But when you give them a courtesy tho you might have foaled up, they respect the fact that you take responsibility for your mistakes.
    Yall may think im crazy but having a small history in security and several other fields, the best thing to do is be nice but firm and always be on your guard.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.