Your scariest moment as a truck driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dieselnaut, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Dieselnaut

Dieselnaut Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Hello all, I'm a former forum lurker, now recently registered. This is a topic that may have been previously discussed here, though I could not find anything through the search function. Just as the title says, I'm interested to hear about everyone's scariest moment as a truck driver - you know, that time you nearly (or actually) "redecorated" your cab, not the time your ol' lady called to say the dog died. Elaborate as much or as little as you want. Also, if you could, state how long you've been a driver, and at what point in your career the incident happened. Who/what (if any) was at fault or the cause? Finally, any "bottom-line" advice you could offer to help newbies & wannabes avoid similar incidents. Thanks to all who reply...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    It would take a long time and my fingers and wrists would get very very tired.

Here are the cliff notes.

Pittsburg PA ebay car sale delivery to residential area

Pittsburg is ALL mountains, some cobble stone streets

POURING down snow/sleet

1 AM

WAY over log hrs

STEEP hill ......... anti lock trailer brakes is the only thing that saved my bacon.

Moral of the story DO NOT ever make residential deliveries or pick ups for any reason at all with a road tractor/trailer combo..... EVER!!!

I was a serious FNG on that trip. Hardly fit to be alone in a truck by myself. But I didn't screw any thing up too bad and am still driving truck. That by itself is a miracle.

I told this story this past sunday and at the end I felt a bit scared thanks to the terror of that night.... 5 yrs later.

davetiow and Baba Looey Thank this.
  4. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    This one is pretty simple. Most of us consider ourselves to be smart enough to not do something dumb enough to get ourselves killed. EVERYONE in their life and especially in the trucking game will do something that they could and probably should have gotten killed while doing. The main thing that EVERYONE needs to remember is when something stupid happens STOP!!!

Collect your wits and get back into a mindset to fix whats broken, bent or messed up. Things will always be compounded if you REACT rather than respond to something that it already to late to do anything about!

My stupid / dangerous story? (sorry for the novel) I had been driving trucks for about a year (maybe less). This was with my first company in California. I hauled tires, I would leave the yard, deliver a large delivery in one of the bay area Costco's or Price Clubs and then several smaller stops down through San Jose, To Salinas, over to Monterey, up to Santa Cruz and then back to the bay to pick up a loaded container of tires back to the DC.

Anyway.. I was driving my old favorite truck at the time, A 1971 Ford "Flatback" Cabover. No sleeper so the rear of the old 6V92 hung out of the rear of the cab. The air compressor and all sorts of things were back there and of course so were the rotating belts.. This thing would eat either the air lines, the pig tail or BOTH at least every month or so. It would also sometimes knock the coolant line fittings off if the air compressor, loads of fun! I carried hoses, ferrules, electrical tape, an "easy out", and assorted wiring and tape for these trying times.

Anyway Anyway, I was tooling through the wild country on 101 south of Gilroy and south of the scales there and noticed that my air gauges were acting odd.. I knew what the problem was. There was a hole in the emergency line on the tractor. In this area there are hills and you are driving through what amounts to a canyon of sorts. There is a wide spot / parking area off on the shoulder of 101. I got stopped and decided to check things out. Now I do have to add the problem starts right here! The old ford did NOR have the normal set up of buttons for the parking brakes and the trailer supply valve. There is ONE spring loaded thingy that you had to lower and lock in for it to stay open. This meant that either all the brakes were SET or all the brakes were RELEASED.. Did I mention that I was in hill country?

I climbed up on the frame (no cat walk btw) to check out the hoses.. I could not find any holes.. so (Here's where the fun begins) I released the brakes and climb back up there to find the now hissing hole in the air line. GREAT! I found it very easily then.... About the same time, I noticed that the scenery was rapidly changing all around me. I was standing on the back of the truck as it was trying to roll backwards out onto HWY 101...

You have NEVER seen a person move that fast (especially a big SOB like me) in your life! I flew from the frame to the drivers seat and jammed the brakes on so hard that I probably bent the floor in the old Ford..

I never have felt so fortunate nor stupid in my life and I hope never to feel that way again!!!

Think people! Think!!!

LoneCowboy, unholy7, MadeinMX and 2 others Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Another ebay story...

I HATE ebay. I think it should be outlawed. I get crappy deliveries once in a while thanks to them. I love the morons that rely on ebay to furnish their house, buying something and not knowing what they are buying, and God forbid it have a scratch on it when it gets there, CONCEALED damage at that.

One morning at about 5 AM, back when I was running the nightshift, I was returning home on a linehaul run in winter weather.

On I-70 E/B in Hagerstown, a line of about 3 vehicles was coming off of N/B I-81. The last vehicle in this line was a black Dodge Dakota. Well, this idiot must have gotten impatient because he hit the gas, intending to come out onto the highway early and shoot over into the hammer lane, passing the cars that were in front of him on the ramp. When he stepped on it, he wound up spinning around in 2 complete circles a coming to a stop facing the wrong way in the right lane.

I was in the right lane, and there was a gas tanker next to me. We both panicked and fortunately were able to stop. By the time we did stop, we just sat there and looked at each other in utter amazement, thinking one of us was surely gonna have this guy for breakfast.

Baba Looey Thanks this.
  6. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    I had been driving nights and sleeping days for 3 days just because of the loads I was being scheduled. I was on I-40 heading west just 10 miles east of Kingman, AZ. Doing my usual governed speed with a 46K dog food load I had picked up that morning over at Ralston Purina in Flagstaff. A little sleepy with the morning sun hitting me thru the window, I came over the last hill prior to the 'race' down to Kingman over an 8-mile stretch where all of us drivers let it 'float!' Just as I came over the hill, in heavy truck traffic both lanes (I was in the granny) and behind me, I came up on another truck with flashers on doing about 5-10 mph (guess trying to limp into Kingman--should have pulled off at the Petro a few miles back for repairs!!). No way could have stopped, couldnt change lanes, so calmy (learned NEVER to panic years ago!!) went right to the shoulder and passed the truck at about 20-30 mph...didnt plan on passing on the right, but he was going so slow, I just pulled back on and went my 'merry' way....I consider my self a safe driver, and stuff like this upsets me, wondering if I wasnt a little sleepy and 'racing' to Kingman if I could have avoided the situation?! But, as we all know, ALL drivers make mistakes (not fully attentive all the time, not both hands on the wheel, etc) that could make us momentarily vulnerable....not excusing, but it happens.:biggrin_2557:

Baba Looey Thanks this.
  7. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
  8. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    It was a COLD February day in northern Canada, the freezing rain a few days before had put about a layer of ICE about 5 inches thick on all road surfaces. We were driving (barely holding traction) on a 4 lane highway behind a super B fuel tanker. All of a sudden a sand truck pulls out from the shoulder right in front of the tanker, who moves into the hammer lane, and we move into the left hand side shoulder. Who knows how we all managed to avoid an accident, but the sand truck driver certainly deserves a DARWIN award for his efforts to extinguish not only his own life, but the lives of other hard working truckers and swampers.
    From the lack of expression on the sand truck drivers face, it would appear that he was oblivious to the fact that pulling out onto a highway from the parked position requires caution, and doing so without looking first might cause a serious accident!

9. Hangman

Hangman Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Pullman, WA
    it was six weeks after I started driving, coming out of Arizona into New mexico, I was coming up to a on ramp when I noticed a black Pete rolling up the ramp to get on the road so I moved over into the hammer lane to give him the room as I moved over I notice a motorcycle behind the pete coming on as well so as the my truck and the pete meet I looked in my left mirror to see if my trailor was dog legging into his lane, what I saw instead terified me, that motorcycle I mentioned earlier was coming up in between both of us... Yep right down the dotted line, the Pete apparently did not see him or had not checked the mirror and was still coming out into the lane so as the Pete was going left into the slow lane I was going left onto the shoulder to avoid sucking the cycle under my truck, if you have seen the shoulders in New Mexico they are not flat they round over, so now here I am driving at highway speeds on a shoulder that at any moment could give way and suck me into some soft sand or dirt causing me to jackknife, Thank goodness that did not happen, but if it was not for my checking of that passenger mirror that move the cyclist made would have been his last not to mention the last for his rider. Since then I have been behind the wheel of a truck for ten years, and I still enjoy it. even though there are idiots out there like that one... My words of advice is the same as most everyone here pay attention and get the big picture. If you don't it will bite you and bite you hard.

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Don't blame me. Biggest thing I've ever ordered off ebay was a new computer and monitor. Every thing I've gotten has been easily delivered by USPS, UPS, or Fed Ex.

11. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

I was on my way to Brookville IN, at about 0100, just trying to get there because the customer would let drivers park there and sleep. It was raining and very windy, and I was pushing hard, on some little two lane, hauling ##### (goind about 65). Well I crested a little hill, and on the other side found a deluge, I managed to shut off the Jake, but when I hit the water I hydroplaned onto the shoulder. Now I'm getting worried, well got the rig slowed down, yanked it back up onto the road, but when the trailer came back up, it promptly tried to jacknife, now that scared the hell out of me! Thankfully, I got my truck back under control, and now, flushed with adrenaline, made it to Brookville without any more problems.

Obviously, if I had stopped at the Wally world in Shelbyville (like I had planned) and just slept there, none of this would have happened.

Hey Fozzy, had a similar moment to yours, back in my Fedex Ground days. I was delivering to a residence (with a Step Van), and while signing, the customer looks over my shoulder and says 'hey dude, your trucking's rolling!' I imagine he was thinking the same thing you said, he never saw a fat guy move so fast! Thankfully, the passenger door was open, so I dove in across the floor and hit the brake pedal with my hand. Turns out the parking brake lever popped out of park, allowing the truck to start rolling.

Baba Looey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.