Your top 5?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Tag, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Tag

Tag Light Load Member

May 30, 2007
    Sugar Land, TX
    I'm curious, if you guys will be applying for a company driver, what would be your top 5 companies? Just number it from 1-5 with 1 as the best. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    There really is NO BEST carrier for everyone.... My Top 5 probably wouldnt be your top 5 because every carrier has good and bad which fits different drivers depending on what the driver wants out of driving... If you like running 48 states with 3-5 days in between your pickups and drops, then Knight wouldnt be for you, but yet I'm Happy with Knight because I get home Often (sometimes to often) and they dont have forced dispatch. Ask yourself what your needs are and what you want to do with trucking. Then find those companies that offer your needs and wants, that way you can narrow it down... I think thats why alot of drivers jump from one company to another, because they hear that US Xpress has the best Trucks, but yet they might not have the best freight to get you any home time..?? Everyone puts Swift down, but yet I know a few drivers that are happy with them and have been with them for years because Swift offers them what they want to keep them happy... Good Luck, there are plenty of companies to choose from. DRIVE SAFE

4. IrishMike202

IrishMike202 <strong>"Ireland-It's My Island"</strong>

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia
    Here are the top 5 (for me) that I was looking into in no particular order:

1.) USXpress (Going to orientation on Sept. 26th)
    2.) SWIFT
    3.) Mavrick
    4.) Schnieder
    5.) Transport America (Who finally called me back yesterday)

5. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Probably:

1) ABF
    2) USPS
    3) UPS freight or truckload
    4) NEMF
    5) Yellow freight

i can't completely decide wether to go OTR or stay local. I'm kinda-sorta doing "regional OTR"---where iturn around and come straight back home, I.e., boston, charlotte etc.

OTR's more fun, but local is easy sleep and parking. In my experiences the money is about the same. If anything OTR pays more if you know where to look.

6. tammytell

tammytell Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2007
    tulsa,ok
    They are all about the same, Only difference, the 800 number changes

7. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I guess I would choose companies with top pay, benefits, and equipment. None of the otr carriers make the grade measured by these standards.
    1st would be Walmart (they are paid for everything they do including taking their breaks).
    2nd would be Frito Lay. (They average in the mid 70's for pay and are home daily from what I hear).
    3rd would be precision motor group. (An enclosed auto transporter boasting 70 to 80 grand per year with discounts on luxury car purchases).
    4th Sherwin Williams boasts pay of 60 to 70 grand per year.
    5th would be New Century LTL division. (their company benefits and equipment are outstanding and are growing with the recent purchases of Rude trucking and now P&P Transport).
    All these carriers are top notch from what I have seen and are very picky on who they hire. You have to have several years of verifiable experience, no accidents (within past 5 years) and a clean MVR to make the grade at these outfits.

8. cutloose

cutloose Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Now thats a driver who knows how to set goals, what a list..
    Atleasts if he fails, there wont be to much disapointment:biggrin_2554:

9. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL

This list is the bottom 5 :biggrin_25523:

10. Travler51

Travler51 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I am looking at jumping in feet first soon.
    - I have very little money so I will have to fall prey to some school/company deal...

Been looking at two local schools that will place me with Swift or Maverick Specialty -- both are getting horrible reports...

Then, I have the Schneider opportunity...

I realize the fact of the matter is I am going to have to dwell on the bottom my first year and, hopefully stay with the same company no matter what.

Oh and not get fired...:biggrin_255:

11. Mycal A

Mycal A Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok,Fla
    I'm in the same spot you are. I think I'm going to Swift in Memphis next month. It sucks but with no dough, what can you do? Good luck to you. Here's hoping for the best.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.