Your transition from OTR to Local...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sherlock510, May 10, 2016.

1. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Been OTR for over 3.5 years now, same company, but might be looking for a change in the near future. I've enjoyed being OTR, don't get me wrong, but I started out knowing I'd end up with a local gig eventually. My company pays decent (62k gross last year), I picked up a new Volvo a month or so ago with 25 miles on it and it's hooked up with all the creature comforts inside (tv, fridge, Xbox, microwave etc). The company is definitely not the problem, neither is the pay.

I'm looking to transition into a local job and location is kind of an issue, i don't want to buy a house/condo in the Bay Area, and I have my crosshair in the Dallas/FW area. Just a little more background, I'm a month from 29, no kids/wife and can move just about anywhere I want. I definitely want to be in a "metro" area but don't want to pay California prices.

So for those of you that made the transition, how'd it go? Did you stay in your home state? More/less pay or hours? Any regrets? Btw, I'd be looking for a grocery store type company.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Reason for edit: Omission
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Dfw area is pretty good.... housing is cheap here, LTL companies are always hiring at 22$+, local jobs abound.

sherlock510 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Cardinal Logistics has lots of grocery store accounts. The website should have what type accounts in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I worked for them several years ago in Tennessee and no bad experiences there. Left to go with tankers.

sherlock510 Thanks this.
  5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I moved to Las Vegas where it was cheap to live and I got paid CA wages. I made out real well until the company closed and I got hurt on the job. But for many years I was home every night watched my son grow up and had 3 days off every week. But not all local jobs are like that.

moloko Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've got a friend who went local 2 years. Kind of the same company i first worked for when i came back out on the road. They haul dirt and what not. They used to have long haul trucks but shut that down.

In the beginning, he had nothing good to say. And i kept telling him so. 2 years later, he's still bugging me to come work for them. Now they're doing some street work down the road from my house. Working nights. And has been calling me every day to see if i've called the boss yet. The company pays $20 an hour but no OT pay. Supposedly they have a long haul operation and aren't bound legally for OT pay. 50 hours per week if the weather holds. They also do a lot of out of town jobs. And put the drivers in a motel. 2 guys per room.

As much as i want to quit this job. I just can't bring myself to take a $1200 cut in take home pay. And living in a motel sunday through friday with a roomie, everytime work goes out of town.

Fact of the matter is, unless i want to haul crude oil. Running the same circle and chaining up 6 months of the year. I"m basically screwed for local work as nothing around here pays comparable. But at the same time, I'm tired of not sleeping in my bed every night. And dealing with California.

sherlock510 Thanks this.
  7. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    You sound like a Seattle or a Portland kind of guy. Plenty of opportunities in those areas, especially Seattle since there's a maritime port. Jesus, you could get a local gig just running a load up to Vancouver, Canada each day.

sherlock510 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I vote for Las Vegas!
    Just like Texas; no personal income taxes.
    I hate cold weather!
    Not that it matters; this thread isn't about me......lol

9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What OTR company are you currently working for? From the looks of things, it seems to be a very decent company that you are currently working for.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

10. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    Try fedex freight in dallas and fort worth we have three places there. You could make 75 to 10000 yr.

sherlock510 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.