You're taking a shower, when all of a sudden...

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Scarecrow03, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Something occurred to me last night while I was taking a shower at a Flying J. For the first time I noticed the fire alarm and I thought to myself, what would I do if that sucker went off while I was in the shower? For the most part, I'm relatively calm when it comes to emergency situations. I would like to think that I would grab up all my personal belongings, at least put on my boxer shorts, and wrap the towel around me. Then I thought, would I really have that much time? Of course there's no way of knowing how much time a person would have until presented with that situation, but I just thought I'd see what some of y'all thought about this.

So what say you? What do you think you would do if you were in the midst of a shower when the fire alarm went off?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Stop at the front desk and ask for a refund/raincheck.:yes2557:
    Actually I never thought about it myself!

I'd try to finish up fast and grab my stuff and run, put my clothes on outside...:biggrin_2552:

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  4. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    You're in the shower; you won't burn! You might get some extra hot water tho...

5. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Fox that was bad:yes2557: But really I never even thought of that before either.
    I guess the only way you would know is if it happened. I'm sure we all would like to think we would respond rationally but who knows?:biggrin_25511:

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    When the adrenaline is pumping and the alarms sounding time seems to speed up by a factor of at least 10.

How ever, if you remain calm, cool and collected and get rinsed off, dried off and take time to put most of your cloths on you should still be fine. By all means hustle, don't finish the job in leisure, but you should be fine. Its only gonna take a couple minutes.

Its unlikely in today's modern buildings like the J with all the fire retarding things built into code that taking those couple minutes to properly finish will result in you not getting out of the building.

disclaimer..... this is an opinion.

Scare the answer is yes..............I've thought about the fire alarm many times.

Scarecrow03 and rocknroll nik Thank this.
  7. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    My first step, would be to grab my towel, wrap it around me and find my other belongings and leave.

At that point, I don't care who sees me in my towel.... lol

Wiseguywireless and Scarecrow03 Thank this.
  8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    It may not be the same thing, but I have been in the shower and the pager went off for fire or medical. I have quickly dried off, dressed and still made it out of the house in 2 minutes.

Brickman and Scarecrow03 Thank this.
  9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    careful cyber. I'm liable to pull the alarm next time you'r in the shower!! :biggrin_25525:

Crow. the thing I have thought of is with all the tile around what would happen if you sliped n knocked your head. you'd likely bleed to death and nobody would know.

I was talking to a girl one time who was cleaning showers at a flying j and she said sometimes the computer doesn't log it when you leave(the doors locks and releases are controled by the computer) and she said after a few hours someone would have to check the shower. Said she wouldn't do it because she was afraid of finding someone dead in there. Apparently it has happened

Scarecrow03, HFC and Wiseguywireless Thank this.
  10. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

One of the old geezers died in the bathroom at the coffee shop the other day. They had thought he had just left, and then someone else saw his car in the parking lot hours later. They had to go check and find the grisly scene.

11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I'll have the camera ready for when you come out......:biggrin_255:
    Blackmail is a wonderful thing....:yes2557:

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.