YouTube Be Careful, very careful

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've watched a ton of YouTube videos of various truck drivers & owner-operators. There is a lot of very useful and eye-opening videos for newbies, students, and anyone wanting a glimpse of truck driving. Before YT the only way to learn anything about trucking was to know a truck driver or become a truck driver. These YT videos can remove some of the unknown about the industry.

1. Don't video yourself driving. Don't publish your dashcam video to YT. All it takes is you rolling, ever so slightly, through a right-on-red-after-stop or stop sign and you could be in trouble with your company. If not soon after you post a video, as soon as some psychopath watches your video and decides the color of your truck means you are a space alien and he calls in to your company about your "dangerous driving."

2. YT videos may get a customer's attention. Some customers have a blanket "no recording on our premises" policy. Just recording their building, a blank slab with nothing but paint, could get a junior assistent deputy intern or manager's attention and they start complaining to your trucking company, which starts your company watching your videos, which may uncover 2 violations of the employee handbook about unfair comments regarding out-of-state squrrels or something else very important.

3. If you put videos on YT be anonymous. Don't use your real name, never show your truck name/number. Use fake names like Acme Transport & Gear Jammin' Joey. If you are going to discuss real details be anonymous. If you've used your real name and company only talk very generally about what/where you are, although you might talk about the story your heard from "another driver", ahem. Never mention a real customer, maybe lie or mis-remember about the location. It's better to work on the premise "how could my worst enemy use this video to hurt me?" At least 1 YT truck driver posted a video about failing his drug test.

4. YT videos are the LAST place you should be venting about your company or bad customers. The internet records things forever. It's more likely you get fired telling the real truth about your company or a customer than any problem gets fixed. There countless ways for things you post to YT to come back and hurt you.

5/ If you are watching videos about new driver or new lease-op, owner-ops are making buckets of money, remember many f these videos are posted by guys just getting into the business. They could be speeding toward a cliff, but haven't crashed yet. I'm noticing a ton of "I've been leasing for 2 months and it's awesome" videos and their last video was a year ago. Not many on YT are posting "they're going to repo my truck this week and I owe $18k".

I use YouTube probably more than search engines. You can learn a ton of stuff. But don't volunteer to be on Stupid Drivers Do What or How To Lose Your Job at 2:48 You may have a right to say anything. You may not think anything is wrong with what you said, maybe you're right. But your bosses opinion about what you said may decide if you have a job. You don't have to agree that what you posted was a problem to get fired. Be careful.

Joec111 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Ok......so how long has YT been around,?

4. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Here we go again! :rolleyes:

snowman1980, HotH2o and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  5. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Might as well throw any social media @tscottme . But at this point it's almost 2017 does this even need to be said?

snowman1980 Thanks this.
  6. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Its a shame,that drivers have to take such steps,to avoid losing their job and income.
    When I researched trucking,Indiana jack was a favorite,the multiple camera angles,gave a good insight,on what the drivers see.
    Being in a truck 24-7,gotta have a hobby of some kind.
    Id hate to see guys like Indiana Jack,lose his job,over a silly road infraction.

snowman1980 and tanker1045 Thank this.
  7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Shouldnt #3 include wearing a brown paper bag over your head or something to disguise your face?

I mention this cause lets say driver is on his 10 hour watching YT and comes across driver from his company. Say YT driver is bashing their company. Driver watching is a trainer or just likes his company. Gets converned. Driver aint got name, but sends link to company. Company pulls ids. Finds it. Now YT driver is screwed.

ncstang Thanks this.
  8. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Whats a youtube,

and where can I buy one ?

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  9. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Here are some tips:

1. No Truck # shown
    2. No Company Shown
    3. No ID#/Name Given

Pretty easy, going to be a hard sell to ID a trucker with 15 views on a video without some sort of ID#/Truck# etc.

Also, if you're recording while you're driving that's fine, so long as it's hands/distraction free. Big brother is probably watching anyways. Vlogs are pretty common in our industry. Post processing can fix errors (like California stops). Edit that stuff out. :p

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    In reguards to #1,ppl that turn in drivers for filming because they ran a stop sign or whatever are physopaths?and why is that?Those drivers give all truck drivers a bad name and bad reputation.Those YT drivers deserve to get turned in and deserve to get fired and they are dangerous drivers.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Here are a bunch of thoughts.

Don't do it, it is a record of your crappy driving and shows your lack of knowledge. Many of you can barely drive a car but got a cdl to begin with, so recording while driving can be a good indication of how poorly you are

Really good drivers don't record themselves. Nor do they want to share skills on line.

Most of the videos I've seen are bithchfests and nothing more than that, crying about driving, how cruel the company is and so on. The funniest one was about detent time where the driver lost his mind after sitting for an hour waiting to be loaded.

Just because you think you're anonymous doesn't mean you are, a lot of people are hired to find this crap about you and some companies have outside help to keep track of their brand, I worked for one 13 years ago and there were a few people fired for their anonymous comments and postings.

And the last thought is this.

Recording yourself driving can lead to it being used as evidence against you and your company. Just because you work for X does not mean X or the insurance company will defend you in legal case or with any legal matter that pops up, your value to them is limited to the amount of revenue you produce and you are replacible.

snowman1980 and W900AOwner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.