Youtube job hoppers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by haz-matguru, Jul 3, 2017.

1. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I told a friend of mine that got his cdl to get on youtube and look at different channels to some what get a feel for trucking. Well he asked me why do truck drivers change jobs all the time.

I replied because a lot of companies tell lies to reel a driver in. Then once your there you see how they don't keep there promises. And also a lot of these youtube truckers do these lease purchase deals that will never work out.

Now I feel I put a bad taste in his mouth about trucking. Because I told him to watch some yahoo's with no real experience try and tell others how to fail just like them. Man I got to do better than that!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    As someone that spent almost 2 years researching what company to go with (I knew a career change was coming so I was able to plan more then most) I spent a ton of time on YouTube along with this site, other sites, truck stops and whatnot. I saw pretty much the same thing you refer too in every place I looked.

All things considered you really didn't give him bad advice. Some of these jokers on YouTube (most?) are exactly what you said they are if not worse, and some aren't. He will find that in any of the research he does, no matter the platform.

If he has his head screwed on even remotely straight he'll already have realized that like everything else, there is no straight line from A to B in anything, and to take it all with a grain of salt. Toss out at least half of everything, then maybe the best and worse 25% of whatever is left and average the rest.

Overall I'd rather have someone paint me a bleaker picture of what something is then toss me a pair of rose colored glasses and say have at it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I may get bashed for this, but IDC... have him look at @scottied67 's channel. He's a successful L/P guy, and posts many videos on here (TTR), too. I'm not a YouTuber... but when he shares here, it's always good.

augiedoggie41, HotH2o, bzinger and 5 others Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Well said, man. Well said. Scottie is one of the few decent ones still around, methinks.

HotH2o, bzinger, scottied67 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    One of the best things about TTR is that for the most part the information isn't hidden behind layers of lies from drivers trying to get a recruiting bonus.
    The staff on here do a pretty good job to at least attempt to keep that from happening.

On YouTube, virtually everyone is just after some sort of recruiting bonus. As always, just be wary of the information you receive online.

Suspect Zero and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  7. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Many of the YouTube folks are only pushing their companies looking for that recruitment bonus. I just watched one where a guy went from a starter carrier to a another carrier after a year. If I were to believe him, in 1 week he found his dream company, more miles than you can count, excellent pay, excellent equipment. I may not be behind the wheel full time, but how could anyone know in a week if the miles are there long term, if the equipment is new this year, but you will be in it for the next 10 years?
    Take the YouTubers with a grain of salt, most job hop, if you go back and watch from the beginning every job was awesome, a wet dream come true. As mentioned above, @scottied67 has a channel, but you will never hear him recruiting like many of the others, he isn't at a new company every week, actually takes a shower, and doesn't wear flip flops or a greasy tank top and shorts.

8. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Agreed

scottied67 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    One of the WORST things about TTR is some people offer advice that are not even in our industry (yet, if ever....) or choose to bash and put people down.
    Not everyone on YT is recruiting for Prime... nor Jim Palmer. Bet ya know who I mean. Just saying.

10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Ha, I was replying EXACTLY when you were. We both said the same stuff, in a nutshell, LOL.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  11. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Can't we all just drive along; together???

Brettj3876, ncmickey, Lepton1 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.