You've ALMOST Talked Me Into Taking the Export Plunge!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by The Gryphon, May 29, 2014.

1. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yeah, I know that's what they say. I'm going to risk it though. Probably won't use the amp unless I'm try to talk in a high noise area anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I guess ...

Any tech who is more than a wood butcher will know what he is talking about and can easily modify (read ADD) something to the amp to make things work - it is about $2 worth of parts and 10 minutes worth the time and they can make it all work together as if it was meant to be.

4. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, he didn't open the amp. But I trust him. You see, I'll trust a person until they give me a reason not to.

Dave at Atlantic Coast Communications has shown me he can't be trusted to do even the most basic of things like putting PL-259s on coax properly.

So, they'll get no more of my money and I'll warn everyone I can about them.

If I fry the amp running it the way Andy set it up, then I'll take it up with Ray and Andy will have lost my trust.

I now know that I can buy those little amps all day long for less than 1/2 what those hacks at Atlantic Coast Communications charge. And I'm willing to risk that much to be able to have the radio sound as good as it does now both barefoot and with the amp on.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  5. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Rolled by Chuck's CB Shop, I-40, X 126 in Halladay/Parsons, TN and got the SWR set.

1.1 across the band is pretty good.

Took the stock antennas off the truck and am running the single Wilson 2000.

Radio is tuned, amp hooked up and SWR set.

Chuck says the radio is sounding good (he didn't do the tuning on the radio).

He charges a whopping $10 to set your SWR!

Now that's an honest man for you!!

I guess that's why he's been there for 29 years!

6. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Most likely he paid his rent on time.

7. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Pretty sure he owns the property.

8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK then he has been paying his taxes - no matter what, it is good that you get good inexpensive service from someone who may know what he is doing.

I'm wondering what did he use to match the antenna with?

9. Picklechips

Picklechips Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm wondering what you use.

10. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    He had some sort of black box device that he used to tune the antenna.

It wasn't a radio and I didn't ask him what it was that he was using.

Chuck is a good guy. He seems to know what he's doing, he's honest and he charges reasonable prices.

As an aside, he had a set of Browning Golden Eagles on his bench and he said he had another set in the back.

I have not seen a set of those since I was a kid fooling around with CBs in the 70s.

11. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    It *could* be an "Antenna Analyzer". It does SWR, Impedance, and some other functions that are important, but not readily apparent when using the old-fashioned SWR bridge. It also is several functions rolled into one: the SWR/Antenna Performance instrument, a Frequency Counter, a Signal Generator, and a Field Strength Meter, Grid Dip Meter! Virtually a repair station rolled into one! That is, IF that is what you have described. I keep one in my "kit" all the time--dunno how I did without one all these years!:yes2557::biggrin_25525:

GF

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.