Yup. Another Oil Field Wannabe

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 900 mile walk, Apr 23, 2012.

1. 900 mile walk

900 mile walk Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Bakken/Williston,ND
    First I'd like to thank all of you who have taken time out of your lives to provide good information for many of us out there that have been looking into the trucking industry for a chance at having a real life and career.
    My hat is off to all of you!

I will soon be leaving a job I have held now for well over 20 years, but not by choice. Not to mention loosing my house, and a good deal of my pride. But that's okay, and I'm going to move on with life.

As I understand it, there's a lot of work in the oil fields that CAN pay well if overtime is high and you can survive the burnout factor that must contribute to the high rate of turn over there. I am well used to hard work and can't come close to recalling how many 24-36 our shifts I've pulled to get in 100+ hour work weeks. So I'm no weenie when it comes to hard work. What I'd like to hear from folks is any advice on what you did to overcome these factors that must cull out much of the newbie work force there, as I'd like to make this more of a long term commitment. I'm not expecting a get rich quick plan, but I would like to get back on my feet as quickly as possible without hitting the OTR route if I can at all help it.

I have a strong work ethic, a fairly clean MVR report with one improper turn violation (missed a no U turn sign) that should drop off my 5 year report in July. I also have a fender bender that I was at fault with that caused about $2500 damage each to my vehicle and the person I hit. A bone headed move on my part, but it was at low speed, with no injuries. That happened about 18 months ago. Otherwise my MVR and driving history are clean for probably 10 years on back. No DUI's, Clean pee, and clean back ground. I'm thinking I'll get my additional CDL certifications here in TN before I go on the hunt for work.

I'm open to location, and have been looking at everything from TX, ND, MT, and others so I'm looking for work that can best lead me to success with my plan, and not a specific location. I know the Oil Field questions have pretty much all been asked on several other threads, I'm just trying to neave no stone unturned here.

I don't want to create too long of an initial message here so I welcome any of your input.

Consider me a sponge here and send it my way.

Thanks again!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kabokokka23

Kabokokka23 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Now, before you get excited, realize that I am a 22 year old that's still living with Mommy and Daddy and everything that I know has come from the internet.

If you have a CDL, with no other endorsements, and you move to ND and find housing(this is the big thing right now -- no places to live), you'll be handed a job on a silver platter.

I heard stories of people going there and getting jobs as truckers earning 20 per hour with NO CDL.

This is true, I am not making it up.

Good luck my brother I hope all will be well and you find the job you're looking for !

4. 900 mile walk

Apr 16, 2012
    Bakken/Williston,ND
    Thanks Kabokokka23. Look at it this way. I'm old enough to be your daddy and it looks like I'll be moving back in with mommy & daddy to get through school. Can't change that for either one of us :biggrin_2556:

I've read a lot on the ND situation and from my very limited perspective I think it might be best to look at Texas first to get a winter under my belt before heading to ND. I'm from the snowy north, and the thought of cutting my teeth on a ND winter is more than a little intimidating.

Thanks, and I'll check back soon.

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Reports are that ND work is very slow right now due to the frost laws being in effect.

6. eastbound & down

eastbound & down Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    LA,CA
    Those days seem to be over trust me been calling left and right North Dakota is tough for entry level right now i have a labor bg spotless mvr clean bg and solid work history cdl A hazmat,tanker,dbl/trp, twic etc etc I cant sniff a job right now im hearing the same from guys up there on city data. I was trying to avoid otr but might have to as a recent grad no oil experience.:biggrin_25510:

7. eastbound & down

eastbound & down Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    LA,CA
    A rookie can still find job there a kid from my school here in LA went straight from grad to deer valley trucking not like it was though ... Texas seems like the place to go now

8. 900 mile walk

Apr 16, 2012
    Bakken/Williston,ND
    Thanks Windsmith and Eastbound & Down (a Kenny Powers fan here too):biggrin_2556:
    I've followed Paulcouto, Vegaspainter and others threads for a while and they have given me encouragement that there are some jobs out there that a Newbie can land. I'm just wondering what % the employment cycles in the oil patch are based on the season, or if it's a cycle of recruits coming in. My plan is to head into my search with enough $ to get me out there for at least 30 days, 60 would be preferable. I can live very cheaply, with little of nothing save the barest of essentials. A few hundred days on the trail, lugging your every possession up, and down mountains will quickly train you on what's really needed to survive. But...You probably already know what they say of best laid plans, mice, and men...

The director at the school I'm planning on attending said they slow down in the summer and I should have no problem getting into a class then. I'm leaning to a trucker mill program instead of the PTDI course in Nashville. The Recruiters I've spoken with said it didn't make a difference, but I know you have to take every thing they say with a grain of salt.

Pay attention
    Never Run when you can walk
    Never walk when you can stand
    Never Stand when you can sit
    Never sit when you can lay
    Never lay when you can sleep
    Never pass up clean water
    And...Whatch where you step, bear p**p will stick to your boot for miles!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.