zf meritor transmission codes.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by jakeman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. jakeman

jakeman Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    When I turn the key to the on position. I get 6a, 39, e7. The transmission only works in manual mode. If its in auto, it doesn't shift out of 1st. This is my first automatic transmission

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fullerman

fullerman Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I rebuild meritor eaton mack and spicer at a well known transmission shop and I have only heard of these and never seen one. We have some parts for one in the warehouse and that is the only reason I knew that an auto shift meritor existed. But I did find some info on these codes, 39 indicates a shift lever communication error to the tcu, check harness and connections between these two components. E7 is a j1939 data link communication error to the tcu, check for damaged wires and connections in the data link harness from the tcu to the engine ecm.

4. jakeman

jakeman Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Thanks so much for the respond. I've got another question, maybe you can help, or know someone who can. My clutch is slipping, when I'm in high gear. I was wondering, if there was a clutch adjustment. Ive had a air leak for awhile to, so I finally check it out today, and it sounds like it inside of the transmission, some where around the clutch area.

5. fullerman

fullerman Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Yeah the clutch slipping is not something to let go. Get it checked out immediately and you will save yourself a lot of money if all it need is a proper adjustment. And when you get that done have them fix the leak

6. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    I had a ZF transmission that I just swapped out for a manual 13 sp. Very hard to find anyone to work on them.The clutch as far as I remember cannot be "adjusted" they are self adjusting.More than likely you need a new clutch.Looking at $1800 just for the clutch throwout bearing another $1300.If you don't already have it heres a few links that can give you a little info.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/...ass8/zf_freedomlinetransmission_pb0127_09.pdf

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/...t_parts_1/service_portfolio/class8/mm0150.pdf

7. fullerman

fullerman Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2014
    The one we've been discussing is a different one it's actually a rockwell/meritor design. The actual zf designed transmission are expensive and more expensive to work on. The ones in newer freightliners you can't even get parts for.. they are called the ZF freedom line and are automated manuals that are fully synchronized. They are the opittomy of unamerican.

8. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Yeah I had a ZF freedomline 12 spd in my 2007 KW T600 and yes very expensive.I was quoted $22k to replace as even meritor didn't know where I could get parts for a rebuild .Thats why I just had a manual installed much much cheaper and easier to repair if need be.

9. jakeman

jakeman Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Thank you for your response back. I just swapped my zf meritor out with a 10spd. To many problems can happen with these automatic transmissions.

10. David Marshall

David Marshall Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2016
    I have the same transmission in my t600. Nothing but problems it is now stationary at my brother's farm. Can you point me in the right direction for a swap out to a manual? What kind of cost did you incurr?

11. Cricket Man

Cricket Man Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2011
    amherst,oh 44001
    Dakota i have one freedomline on my 06 columbia how much to swapping for a 13?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.