Company won't verify employment, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CruzControhl2, Apr 15, 2024.

1. CruzControhl2

CruzControhl2 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2023
    North America
    I'm still new compared to some. I will have been trucking for 7yrs now in August. The company I spent the majority of my time at won't verify my experience. It was a total of about 4yrs. They're not necessarily bad but they are holding me up by not verifying my experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Grab your W2s. Thats kinda like proof... I had a company do that to me once and thats what I did.

That company was a piece of work. Ran mail from Minneapolis to NYC. I took it to South Bend, In, and a team took it to NY and back (we swapped trailers in South Bend and I would go home, and they went to NY). I was there 3 years. Boss told me I only had to give him 1 week notice on taking a vacation week. They also had a rule that if I didnt give a 2 week notice they would deduct $200 from my check (which is illegal BTW). So I had a week va ca coming, gave my 1 week notice on that and gave them my 2 week notice at the same time.

They threatened to withhold the $200 because (in THEIR eyes) I was only giving them a 1 week notice. I told them if they even thought about it I would make a phone call. The previous summer the "team" they were using was 1 guy. He had his brother fill out logs, but he was never really IN the truck. I knew it. The company knew it (this was the days of paper logs). They didnt keep the $200. But they claimed to everyone that asked they never heard of me.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tax information is proof of employment. W-2 employment proves you worked.

Lav-25, Wargames and CruzControhl2 Thank this.
  5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    My roomate always makes a copy of the bills of lading , to prove he worked there and did the job .

pretty sure he prints hard copies or makes electronic copies of his ELD as well

TX2Day and CruzControhl2 Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    People should be able to sue bigly for that kind of nonsense by truck companies. Really scummy behavior that only big payouts will bring to an end.

TX2Day, MACK E-6 and CruzControhl2 Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Has the Clearinghouse asked this company for employment history?

8. CruzControhl2

CruzControhl2 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2023
    North America
    Just the job I'm applying to.
    I have a clean mvr and no clearing house issues.

Wargames Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    They may not have been bad when you were working there, but IMHO they’re showing their true colors now by playing this game.

Out these a-holes.

bullhaulerswife and Wargames Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    When you start a new job, clearinghouse is involved. You have to okay it to avoid a fine, and your former company has to share your work history with the new company in a certain amount of time to avoid being fined.

Did you okay anything for clearinghouse at the new company? If not, it’s not the old company that dropped the ball, but the new.

CruzControhl2 and tscottme Thank this.
  11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The new company has to make an attempt to verify past employment. The old company isn’t required to respond, the new company only has to document that they made an attempt.

TX2Day, Lav-25, drh72 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.