Trying to pinpoint the "better" LTL companies:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ClevelandTrucker216, Jun 16, 2023.

1. ClevelandTrucker216

ClevelandTrucker216 Light Load Member

Hey, long story short - had an interview with XPO, at my specific terminal I felt like I dodged a bullet. 70 hours and mostly dock work with maybe 3-4 hours of driving, which wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't 70 hours a week...

Not talking them down, just wasn't what I expected at this specific location, but I did hear similar stories about them like these.

Now, what I will say is that they were very transparent and told me the job isn't too great for the first 2 years or so until you gain seniority, which is to be expected anywhere you go...

But my question would be, what are the best LTL companies - I am in Cleveland, and live near ones like OD, Pitt, ABF etc and we have other companies here like UPS (which rarely hires atm), ESTES, and other companies in between like JB Hunt, Dayton Freight etc etc. I could continue going...

I'm not opposed to working a dock, and I'm not opposed to working 60 hours or so.

but at my specific location, it just doesn't seem like it'd work at for me at XPO...

Any suggestions of other companies to look into?

A big thing for me and this is important - I'm just curious to know if it's possible to "advance" into any of the companies suggested and do other work such as administration, management, safety etc.

(A goal of mine is to become more rounded in the logistics/administration/office side of trucking and take my career beyond just driving! I love being knowledgable and taking on new tasks/challenges.)

I got an offer from a Maw and Paw company, that wouldn't pay 6 figures like these other mega carriers, to get me in as a CDL driver starting, then bounce me up to the office.

I think this is possible at ABF but I'm not sure.

I'm just trying to get my skillset up and be a better asset. I want to gain these skills and go to a mega carrier.

So I wanted to know what company would start me as a driver, then let me climb up.

Thank you, guys -

have a good weekend.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    basedinMN_ and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    100% Pitt-Ohio. They now own quite a few other companies and need everything everywhere. Great people and a low turnover rate for good reason!

Just be super up front with them about what your goals are.

Pitt-Ohio appears to be on fire and super well run.

ClevelandTrucker216 Thanks this.
  4. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Not at ABF

Mike2633 and Blagoje Thank this.
  5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Explain to your current boss you’re good for 60 but 70 affects your home life too much.. maybe they can reduce hours a bit in order to keep you. Ps some guys would kill to get 40 hrs plus nowadays not everyone is busy .

6. ClevelandTrucker216

What aspect are you referring to? Thanks.

If you’re referring to XPO they only offered me a dock job, then a driving job about a year or so down the line. Which is what I forgot to include in my initial post, and one of the main reasons I declined. So I’m just trying to see my options for what local mega carriers allow for drivers > office.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  7. ClevelandTrucker216

I’ll have to look into that, what other companies do they have?

thank you!

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    @mickeyrat works at one of those regional ltl outfits (I can't remember the name). He seems really happy and well paid. Maybe he'll pop up.

9. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    You will not be able to bounce around different Teamster job classifications.
    Unless local work rules allow.
    Now you could quit and go management

ClevelandTrucker216 Thanks this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Dayton freight I think

mickeyrat and ClevelandTrucker216 Thank this.
  11. ClevelandTrucker216

Thank you.
    I’m curious to know how many other mega carriers have a similar policy due to union contracts, then.

I know XPO near me is non union and likes when people show interest in progression.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.