Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127
  1. #31
    Road Train Member phroziac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gary, IN
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,139
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked: 474 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by outerspacehillbilly View Post
    BMI?

    I just tested mine on that calculator and says I'm 34% at 6'3" tall and 260 lbs, it says I should way 145-190 Yeah right I'd float away!
    #### driver you're 30 lb more than i am and the same height! You must be a danger to the motoring public!

    JK. I love how my BMI is "obese". BMI is the most stupid system anyone has ever thought of. People don't come from cookie cutters. I have a larger frame + i have a nice butt or so the girls say. LOL.


  2. #32
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA and VA
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,352
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked: 1,040 Times
    Well, I had my physical today. Our Company policy will require me to take the sleep study. I took mine with the health care provider that has set up shop in our terminal.

    I asked some questions. Interesting answers.

    BMI is the leading indicator for a sleep study to be ordered... however the Dr. can flag you for a sleep study based on neck size... also based on the size/shape of your throat area (airway size, tonsile size and Uvula) for this test the Doctor simply has you say "ahhh" while comparing what he sees in the back of your throat with a series of pictures with varying degrees of passage...

    Drivers have been flagged for a sleep study with the two lesser indicators... even though their BMI is under the limit... I asked because my brother is fit, and he had sleep apnea (before surgery corrected it).. so I was wondering about the criteria for non-overweight people.

    Company policy is even if you use a different doctor for your DOT Physical, the company will send you for screening based simply on weight and height before you will be allowed to drive.

    Reminder, Its a company's discretion to set higher physical standards than the DOT's...

    I take my sleep study test tonight... Its a seperate vendor, and the Dr. reminded me there have been quite a few people he has sent over there who were at the borderline BMI limit that came back diagnosed with no abnormal sleeping problems.

    If I have apnea, I'll get the machine, the Dr. will sign my clearance to drive and I'll get back on the road.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to U2Exit For This Useful Post:


  4. #33
    Big Dummy JustSonny's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Troutman NC
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    60
    Posts
    6,019
    Thanks
    15,942
    Thanked: 5,791 Times
    One of the questions that doesn't seem to get asked enough is, "After a normal number of hours of sleep (7-8, I guess), do you feel fatigued too soon after you start your day?" Did you (or anyone else following this thread) get asked that question? I think people know when they are fatigued, don't you? If a driver who has a high BMI can honestly say that after a night's sleep they feel refreshed and awake and able to do their job without feeling abnormally fatigued, then what's the problem? But, with "Driving While Fatigued" being such a huge issue, as it should be, I guess DOT/FMCSA are turning over every stone to get at causes.

    The good news is that drivers who discover they have a problem with getting adequate rest as a result of sleep apnea can look forward to feeling better and being healthier in more ways than one.

  5. #34
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Aiken,SC
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    37
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked: 128 Times

    I am qualified to post on this topic.

    I happen to be a fat ####### truck driver, so I am plenty qualified to speak on this subject:

    First of all, unless it has to do with race, religion, sex, or nationality,then a company can discriminate any way that it wants. However, the companies aren't discriminating, it is the insurance companies. They do the hiring and firing and any honest employer will tell you that.

    Second, this stuff about BMI's, sleep apnea, etc. is over the top, but honestly, there is probably some truth to it. We all know truck drivers are the epitome of laziness and most of the fat ones are pathetic. The problem is that some of us fat guys can do the job and do it well. I only eat once a day. I actually do a pre-trip inspection EVERY DAY. I park at the back of the parking lot. I walk to other restaurants to eat, besides those offered at the truck stop, when I feel like it. But, I am still a fat #######, and the problem is that I know how disgustig that is, because, in fact, it disgusts me too. I get sick of seeing a bunch of fat people huff and puff at a Golden Corral or Mexican Restaurant or Wal-mart, because I know that's what I look like. I hate seeing the fat guys waddle from their trucks to the truck stop to take a shower, because I know I probably look just like them. Now, I haven't reached "sweat pants" status yet, but it probably wouldn't take much to get there.

    As much as I hate to admit it, some of this stuff is simply trying to get fatigued drivers off the road, and a fat guy has less energy that a guy that is in shape. Here is the problem that I have: I put on a lot of my weight in the 12 years out here on the road. I am not making excuses, but just stating a fact. When a guys sits behind the wheel for 14 hours a dey, and let's state facts, when you have a 60-65 mph truck, it takes 14 hours to make the miles that you log in 11 hours, and then you sit at shippers and receivers babysitting the rig, then you're going to put on weight. Now, I don't know about all the sleep apnea crap, but I can tell you that I don't have the energy that I would like to have. I attribute this to simply being overweight.

    It is discriminatory for company's to act this way, because people like me who can do the job get dealt a bad hand, but the overwhelming majority of these beached whales are slobs and they are pathetic slobs and it is pathetic to see them try and walk. No one should be bigger than me, but the fact is that almost everyone is getting to be as big as I am and that is just one of the sorry things about America these days.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Evilcapitalist For This Useful Post:


  7. #35
    Heavy Load Member wildbill123's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SE,MI
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    55
    Posts
    713
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked: 316 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilcapitalist View Post
    I happen to be a fat ####### truck driver, so I am plenty qualified to speak on this subject:

    First of all, unless it has to do with race, religion, sex, or nationality,then a company can discriminate any way that it wants. However, the companies aren't discriminating, it is the insurance companies. They do the hiring and firing and any honest employer will tell you that.

    Second, this stuff about BMI's, sleep apnea, etc. is over the top, but honestly, there is probably some truth to it. We all know truck drivers are the epitome of laziness and most of the fat ones are pathetic. The problem is that some of us fat guys can do the job and do it well. I only eat once a day. I actually do a pre-trip inspection EVERY DAY. I park at the back of the parking lot. I walk to other restaurants to eat, besides those offered at the truck stop, when I feel like it. But, I am still a fat #######, and the problem is that I know how disgustig that is, because, in fact, it disgusts me too. I get sick of seeing a bunch of fat people huff and puff at a Golden Corral or Mexican Restaurant or Wal-mart, because I know that's what I look like. I hate seeing the fat guys waddle from their trucks to the truck stop to take a shower, because I know I probably look just like them. Now, I haven't reached "sweat pants" status yet, but it probably wouldn't take much to get there.

    As much as I hate to admit it, some of this stuff is simply trying to get fatigued drivers off the road, and a fat guy has less energy that a guy that is in shape. Here is the problem that I have: I put on a lot of my weight in the 12 years out here on the road. I am not making excuses, but just stating a fact. When a guys sits behind the wheel for 14 hours a dey, and let's state facts, when you have a 60-65 mph truck, it takes 14 hours to make the miles that you log in 11 hours, and then you sit at shippers and receivers babysitting the rig, then you're going to put on weight. Now, I don't know about all the sleep apnea crap, but I can tell you that I don't have the energy that I would like to have. I attribute this to simply being overweight.

    It is discriminatory for company's to act this way, because people like me who can do the job get dealt a bad hand, but the overwhelming majority of these beached whales are slobs and they are pathetic slobs and it is pathetic to see them try and walk. No one should be bigger than me, but the fact is that almost everyone is getting to be as big as I am and that is just one of the sorry things about America these days.
    Sorry to hear about your weight problem but my brother in law has been driving for 35 yrs. he is 6ft 1in and weighs 185 lbs. I asked him how he stays in good shape being on the road all the time and he said he eats twice a day, usually at a truck stop, but he never eats from the all you can eat trough.

  8. #36
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    columbia SC
    Trucker?
    25 Years
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked: 35 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
    Sleep Apnea = fat guys snoring.

    Maybe they're trying to cut down on the sweat pants to trucker ratio.
    My friend has sleep apnea,during his test he stopped breathing 89 times within 1 hour of sleeping.He's 5"9 220 thats not fat.

  9. #37
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    columbia SC
    Trucker?
    25 Years
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked: 35 Times

    to evalcapitalist

    Sweetie I was in the same boat.I got to the point where I couldnt do my job.I had the gastric bypass surgery done,lost 75 lbs and in 4 years gained 45lbs back.I thought I could eat junk food an get away with it WRONG.Eating 1 meal a day,is the worst thing you can do.Instead eat 6 small meals,that will increase your metabolism.Exercise is the only way to loose fat,plain and simple.I started with bungee cords then walking.Eat healthy,I love milk chocolate,so I switched to fat free tootsie rools.sugar free candy.
    Watching Dr Oz.a guy on TV said,dont put anything in your mouth if its bigger than your fist,for a meal.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to brenda For This Useful Post:


  11. #38
    Light Load Member truckerx1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Trucker?
    25 Years
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 137 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill123 View Post


    I know a guy that works for a large carrier and he said he was at a safety meeting and the drivers were informed about the rules regarding BMI were going to be enforced by the DOT. They told the drivers that when they get pulled around at the scales the dot would possibly be checking their blood pressure as well as weight and height when 2010 goes into full swing.

    Sounds a little over the top to me, but that's what they were told according to him.
    It's almost laughable, I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. Why not just go to the source? Any regulation (if it goes into effect at all) is still 3 to 5 years away. It has to do with sleep apnea any way not just BMI. When and if it goes into effect It will require any one with a BMI of 33 or higher and neck size of 18 inches or more to go through a sleep study and be treated for sleep apnea IF and only IF you are found to have more then 15 episodes per hour.

    P.S. The BMI and sleep apnea or anything medical have zero to do with CSA 2010, I don't care what the guy who knows a guy says...........

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to truckerx1 For This Useful Post:


  13. #39
    Road Train Member Rug_Trucker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Near Nashville TN
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,218
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked: 798 Times
    My blood pressure would jump just knowing the DOT was pulling me around back!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rug_Trucker For This Useful Post:


  15. #40
    Road Train Member Big John's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked: 1,400 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill123 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your weight problem but my brother in law has been driving for 35 yrs. he is 6ft 1in and weighs 185 lbs. I asked him how he stays in good shape being on the road all the time and he said he eats twice a day, usually at a truck stop, but he never eats from the all you can eat trough.
    All truckstop food is bad for you.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast