Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1
    Light Load Member Hometime's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Trucker?
    Trucker Wife
    Age
    49
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked: 241 Times

    Dollar General Dedicated

    Looking for any CURRENT drivers on a USX Dollar General Dedicated account. Are your miles still good? Would you recommend this dedicated account for a current USX driver with a possible opportunity to go dedicated?

    Any info is appreciated.


  2. #2
    Medium Load Member He who is called I am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Da U P Eh, Michigan
    Trucker?
    9 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked: 93 Times
    I ran the Dollar General accnt for USX out of the zanesville ohio DC. It was good miles the trlrs were all crap and your hubby better be in good shape its full driver unload. The trlr is filled from front to back with carts ranging from 100lbs up to 900lbs plus they stack boxes on top of the carts. I liked working that account. At the zanesville DC there was a guy who was 72 yrs young who was working that accnt. The only bad thing was that i broke my ankle while at home. Thus i had to quit. Well i didnt have to but you have to beable to unload the trlr or you simply cant work. So just keep that in mind should n e thing happen to your hubby. YOu dont get paid if you cant drive. With the economy in the tank alot of people are shopping at DG so its still pretty busy.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to He who is called I am For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Light Load Member Hometime's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Trucker?
    Trucker Wife
    Age
    49
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked: 241 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by He who is called I am View Post
    I ran the Dollar General accnt for USX out of the zanesville ohio DC. It was good miles the trlrs were all crap and your hubby better be in good shape its full driver unload. The trlr is filled from front to back with carts ranging from 100lbs up to 900lbs plus they stack boxes on top of the carts. I liked working that account. At the zanesville DC there was a guy who was 72 yrs young who was working that accnt. The only bad thing was that i broke my ankle while at home. Thus i had to quit. Well i didnt have to but you have to beable to unload the trlr or you simply cant work. So just keep that in mind should n e thing happen to your hubby. YOu dont get paid if you cant drive. With the economy in the tank alot of people are shopping at DG so its still pretty busy.
    Thanks for the info. Physical labor is not a problem so this may be something he wants to look further into.

  5. #4
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Owensboro , KY
    Trucker?
    35 Years
    Posts
    12,816
    Thanks
    1,966
    Thanked: 5,996 Times
    Just don't consider any Dollar General or any other retail dedicated account to have any security . First I saw Werner pulling Dollar General . Now it's USX . The retailers are always looking for carriers to cut the rate of the carrier they are using .

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickG For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Light Load Member Teaforone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the Sandhills, NC
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked: 64 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    10
    Werner hauls Dollar General out of South Boston, Virginia. USX is out of Zanesville, OH and share the terminal with Hogan (from what I remember). USX also has their Dollar General terminal (where I worked) in Jonesville, SC. They share that lot with Swift.

  8. #6
    Bobtail Member KennyR's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melrose Park IL
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked: 3 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by RickG View Post
    Just don't consider any Dollar General or any other retail dedicated account to have any security . First I saw Werner pulling Dollar General . Now it's USX . The retailers are always looking for carriers to cut the rate of the carrier they are using .
    Dollar General not only uses USX, but also Hogan, Werner,and Schneider.I trained with Werner on this account, out of Fulton Missouri.
    Last edited by Baack; 02.15.2009 at 08.18 PM. Reason:: fixed quote

  9. #7
    Road Train Member Mortar Man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,369
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked: 357 Times
    All I can say is

    HAND UNLOAD ....

  10. #8
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Owensboro , KY
    Trucker?
    35 Years
    Posts
    12,816
    Thanks
    1,966
    Thanked: 5,996 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by kentucky24 View Post
    All I can say is

    HAND UNLOAD ....
    A trailer shop near here has been putting liftgates on all Dollar General trailers . Most stores don't have docks . You roll carts with small casters across uneven , sometimes icy parking lots .

  11. #9
    Heavy Load Member rubbergearsnextyear's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    38
    Posts
    943
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked: 334 Times
    Today, my dm offered me a regional position running Dollar General in the SE region. I was wondering if any of you guys out there run a Dollar General account and what it's like.

    PROS: I'd be home more often and stay in the southeast.

    Probably fairly steady miles week in, week out which means steady paychecks and probably not near as much sitting waiting for the next load.

    CONS: I'd have to change trucks.

    I've seen where a lot of the Dollar General stores are located and many look tough to get around in and to.

    All loads are fingerprinted by the driver.


    Should I stay where I am with Swift or go for the DG dedicated?

    Also, if you could describe a typical week running these loads, I'd appreciate. Teaforone, what was your typical week like?

  12. #10
    Light Load Member Teaforone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the Sandhills, NC
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked: 64 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbergearsnextyear View Post
    Today, my dm offered me a regional position running Dollar General in the SE region. I was wondering if any of you guys out there run a Dollar General account and what it's like.

    PROS: I'd be home more often and stay in the southeast.

    Probably fairly steady miles week in, week out which means steady paychecks and probably not near as much sitting waiting for the next load.

    CONS: I'd have to change trucks.

    I've seen where a lot of the Dollar General stores are located and many look tough to get around in and to.

    All loads are fingerprinted by the driver.


    Should I stay where I am with Swift or go for the DG dedicated?

    Also, if you could describe a typical week running these loads, I'd appreciate. Teaforone, what was your typical week like?
    Glad to help. I can't send PM's yet, so ask away about Dollar General here. Okay, typically you will get your load for the stores you are going to around 6 o'clock at night. You are to be at the first store by 6 am the next morning, the manager of the Dollar General will be the one to knock on your door signalling that its time to work. Usually you will have about 3 stops for the day. Each stop is separated by cardboard so you don't get anything mixed-up. I assume you are going to go to the Dollar General in Jonesville, SC. All trailers have lift gates with wheel locks on them that will hold what are called roll tainers. Think of a roll tainer as a tall shopping cart with netting on one side. On top of the roll tainers are toppers; things usually light things like toliet paper. You take these off first and use a hand cart to wheel them in the store.

    It is true that most of these store are really not suited to this type of delivery. Most will have you pushing these 6 foot tall roll tainers through regular doors over the threshold. Most stores have ramps to help push the roll tainers over, but some don't. Usually it will be delivery behind the store, but some store do deliveries right through the front.

    After you are done with your delivery, you will have to collect the empty, folded roll tainers from the last delivery. You will bring them back on the trailer and strap them to the sides. All trailers have a rail and strap system installed. When you are done you tell the manager and he/she will count empty roll tainers and seal your truck. When you go back to the terminal in Jonesville you will first go through the inspection lane near the trailer garages. The guys there will check your trailer. Then you go to the guard shack and drop your empty off and return to a parking space near the drivers lounge.

    The drivers lounge has two showers with toliets and it is also where the dispatchers are. Each load takes about and hour to and hour and a half to unload. Usually each store will get about 10 to 12 roll tainers. I have delivered to stores that got the whole trailer. Each load is generally in the area of about 35 to 41 thousand pounds. It is all driver unload. You will get a good workout on this account.

    There are usually no loads over the weekend. You will get Monday's load on Sunday night, so you will have a day off on Saturday. When I worked at US Xpress, you got 2 days off for every week you worked. Swift shares the lot with US Xpress. If your trailer has a flat you will have to call Werner because they own all the trailers. You will mostly pull 53' dry van, but there are a few 48 foot and a couple 45 foot trailers. These are for Dollar Generals that have very small parking lots.

    The states you will usually go to are Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. You are paid for each stop. Swift guys got more than USX guys. Swift gets 50 for each stop and USX got 35. You will probably get home every weekend on Friday after noon because you are from SC.

    When I drove I would usually take off at about 3 am to get where I needed to be. I would usually already be awake by the time the manager of the store arrived. Most stops are usually within 20 miles of each other. I could get done around 2 pm and then be back at Jonesville to shower, or eat. Near Jonesville is Spartanburg, that's where Best Buy and all the fun places are. Down the road is Unionville. They have good restraunts and a Wal-Mart. If there are any other questions just ask!
    Last edited by Teaforone; 02.16.2009 at 12.11 PM.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teaforone For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast