10 Year old shows off shifting skills

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Cabinover101, Feb 18, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have hammy hands so if you added about oh 40 ton to a Cessna 150 or something I would do better with those things. But hand me a map and a stack of radios to go to point B sure, you bet.

The more I think about that kid going into high range, its way too fast. Im surprised the air gulped the range change in time. It is not that fast.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    This is the way it should be. Dad teaching kids how to do things. Taking time with them. Not being afraid they're gonna get hurt. Getting hurt is part of learning..... the first time.
    I'd be willing to bet this kid will never hold up a liquor store. He will know how to do multiple things that will take him through life. Hunting for food for his family. How to plant a field of corn for sale or for food to feed his family (this was happening on a grain farm (probably corn).
    When I was his age myself, my 2 brothers & all the neighbor kids were on tractors doing various jobs by the age of 10. If I needed to fix a fence to keep the cows in, I did that. If I needed to fry chicken or bake a cake, at age 10, I could do that too. Living on a small farm, I was taught to do whatever I needed to do to learn the things that would get the job done & get through life now at age 60 & everywhere in between. Not to mention, supporting myself without selling drugs, stealing a little old ladies purse, robbing a liquor store or getting on welfare to survive & provide for my family.

If more kids were given the time & attention that this kid is given by his parents to actually learn how to do real life things that he will need in life, ........... well, never mind. End of rant.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    This is awesome... Brings back ALOT of good memories.

I was just a couple years younger than him when I started learning to shift a big truck... But I learned on a 5x4.

By the time I was maybe 11 I was turned loose on my own in the truck hauling hay on the farm... Maybe a 5 mile radius of mostly gravel roads.

Good times.

I wish this kid the best of luck and hope never sees the inside of a mega carrier truck.

Cabinover101 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Post of the week award, Amen brother.....

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I don’t see how high range is to fast when you go into it at 10-15 mph most of the time. The screamin’ Demon makes it seem faster than it is. Lol!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So easy a 10 year old can do it! And you folks are all worried about 18 year olds driving lmfao.

8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hey now... I guess we had that coming like a rampaging Semi Truck. HA.

At 7 I was cargo in a family friend's B model dump to the local quarry then was taught the big Cat dozer tracked in 10 minutes. Even I could understand the concept. Push rocks here to big pile away from crane bucket. Repeat until clean. (It never is) watch other trucks coming and going.

They did not realize it then but that was the one day that really turned a spark into a fire of knowing what my future would be. Eventually I learned how to also run a CAT 936 feeding a ready mix which I enjoy very much such as it is. (If it's sandbox time, it's not WORK... but playtime.)

That particular day was unforgettable. Even though I could not see anything being shorter than the walls of that dump bed.

What my father did where possible is take me to essentially the entire midatlantic with a focus on all of our early presidents and their plantations, stomping grounds and so forth. Including also Civil War battlefields later in life.

That itself was a education far superior to history textbooks that had no meaning or actionable information in them in public school. Although in Monticello its a interesting question when you learn that Jefferson had crossed boundaries in his relationships in his life. They did not address that question in those days but I am told that they most certainly have reconciled it with the descendants and so on today.

I draw some satisfaction from the destruction of Warwick in between Richmond and Norfolk with family forced to go to Somerset to flee. And we continue to build carriers and other warships on that land to keep all of us free.

I was not provided much of a education in self keeping for feeding, hunting or any of that. That came later on my own. Such as it is. Its not much. Camp Greentop next to Camp David had a big lessons learned that month in Maryland, learned to cut fish etc. (Salmon anyone? Fried perhaps?)

For what it's worth, trucking has provided pretty much everything I wanted out of life and I think that alone is quite enough to justify all of the heaven and hell on the road.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    And therein lies the problem, my friend, people AREN'T doing this with their kids. Farms are all but gone, old gear jammers passing without their kids even giving a shred of notice, as in my situation. My kids grew up around trucks, and I put them behind the wheel too, fun, but absolutely no interest beyond that. This kid? Too soon to know if he'll rob a liquor store, but the basics for a good job, are there. Years ago, this kid would have been the envy of all his friends and they ,in turn, would become truck drivers. Sadly, for the most part, this just doesn't happen today, not like when we were young, anyway..

Cabinover101 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do worry that some will try to bully this kid, oh he is going to be a trucker? truckers are nasty etc.

Maybe one day he will understand what he did with that Star is something I think is precious. Such as it is. Thanks Daddy!

Mind them curves kid. You have the rest of your life to get to where you are going.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I don't know about bullying him. People seem to realize that trucks are a necessity, as long as someone else does it. Obviously, this kid is no stranger to trucks, and I'd bet dollars to donuts, his mom, the fathers ex-wife, isn't too happy about it.:argue:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.