15w-40 VS 10w-30

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Chipperrr, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Chipperrr

Chipperrr Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2018
    What is everybody's opinion on switching from 15 W 40 over to 10 W 30? I kinda don't feel very comfortable with it but I also don't know that much about it .. Just doesn't seem like it would provide the same protection??

I've also been reading up on it and seems like the 10 w30 might actually improve fuel mileage. I have an old 2005 C15 acert engine just don't know if it would run good I 10 W 30

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Meh, not so sure I would use it on an older engine. Check the manufacturers approved oil list.
    It’s main reason for use on modern engines is for fuel economy. But we are talking very small improvements. Like 1 or 2 percent.

4. Navtech

Navtech Light Load Member

May 9, 2019
    Yeah seems like that really didn’t start until the SCR engines. I wouldn’t run it in anything non-SCR. A26 engine runs 10w-30 and it is normal for that engine to burn 1 quart in 1000 miles so I’m not convinced

spsauerland and Intothesunset Thank this.
  5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Still using 15w40 in anything yellow. Rule of thumb is commonrail fuel systems 10w30 is Ok. Anything older should run 15w40. The amount of fuel saved from the switch will likely be barely noticable if at all.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Cats pushing 10W30... it’s all they have in bulk at my local cat house.

I use T6 and you get the best of both worlds....

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d worry about causing a leak. I did that once using slick 50, yrs ago, bought a bunch on sale. Bad idea. Rear main started leaking, Luckily stopped after changing back. My Detroit has a front main leak now, due to thinning with diesel, after a bad injector. Never went away.I tried thinner synthetic on my car, only to blow most of it out. Now I throw in one quart of thicker oil, just to keep from adding between changes. It may be ok in cold, but summertime, I’d stick with 40w

8. Navtech

Navtech Light Load Member

May 9, 2019
    All we have in bulk is 10w-30 too, but I don’t buy the hype. Maybe just splitting hairs though. When I worked at CAT dealer one of the old guys there told me. “It all comes out of the ground” because I couldn’t believe he was putting 15w-40 in his pick up truck.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    They are using lighter oil for increase fuel economy, less internal drag from thicker oils. In my personal opinion, this is another attempt to increase sales of new trucks only and do not help with the overall longevity of the engine, just like the hype with extended intervals they push on buyers too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    A5¢, swaan, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If u wanna see a demonstration of what different oils do at different temperatures , adept ape has a video on youtube and he tests oil under different tempertures . its actually pretty cool

Leopard and uncleal13 Thank this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    try not to stray too far off the manufacurers recommended oils.

they may have a "summer oil" blend and a "winter oil" blend, and if so, there is a reason for it...they tested it, and it's what works for thier engines.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.