2016 Volvo with electronically controlled air dryer and governor. Piece of crap!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Forever237, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Mysen1

Mysen1 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Also, that brown airline where the governor should have been is probably a shop air connection.Mine leaked so I capped it off.(Try some soapy water there)Truck still has the problem with air bags not being inflated while parked/getting loaded/unloaded until I turn truck parking brake off.Then,after turning parking brake off, the bags will inflate.Mentioned all of this to several Bruckner's, and they all suddenly want to start talking about something else.Nobody has a clue .Hard to find leaks empty, but with 45k in trailer you increase your chances.If you can eliminate all leaks this "no governor"system might work..I think.Dryer is still gonna purge whenever da master brain tells it to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    What compressor does the truck have… just thinking a mechanical d2 governor is around 20 bucks and guaranteed to work if you can connect it to the proper ports on the compressor

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    And Europeans think their trucks are superior because of all the electronic crap like this.

I spent a brief period of time at a shop that supported a European brand of equipment and any time one showed up I cringed and found a hiding spot somewhere lol.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Another Canadian driver and W923 Thank this.
  5. Forever237

Forever237 Light Load Member

May 29, 2016
    I will ask mechanic on Monday when they open. I doubt there is a port for governor. I talked to him yesterday to see if I could switch to bendix air system instead. He said it is a big headache and not because of all the plumbing, but the ecm or whatever chip is responsible might go nuts. He said he will talk to a software guy on Wednesday to see if its possible to trick it. We’ll see.

6. Forever237

May 29, 2016
    What if I install “regular Volvo” governor on that line? Do you think it might work?

7. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I would think..but I don’t know, that as long as the pressure is in range and the volvo pos dryer and governor are still electricly connected that it will be fine.
    As far as a decompression port to use a regular governor idk But I would almost be surprised if it’s not there

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Weird, mine has one there. Nearly a million miles and never a problem with the air governor/dryer system except a couple of cracked manifolds (leaks). Both were typical, the one through the firewall and the one inside driver's frame rail by trans.

9. Forever237

May 29, 2016
    I’m looking into that theory about airbags. Mine fails only when i’m hooked to the trailer and I went to mechanics bobtailing.

10. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    No because there are no air lines or they are routed elsewhere - the ones that normally connect to the governor. One would need to compare schematics of both systems to figure it out.

11. MWTechGuy

MWTechGuy Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2022
    A little late to the game here but there are 2 main things with these dryers 1) Volvo had a recall involving engine reprogramming for air over-pressurizing. (Reprogrammed ECM and replaced Cartridge as the overpressure caused cartridges to get saturated and could cause the air dryer solenoids to fail) Volvo FSB5610991. 2) WABCO had a testing process for the solenoid/s TP-1474. Hope that points you in the right direction...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.