579 MX13 tips, tricks and advice

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Tmichael2332, Mar 20, 2018.

1. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    When there was a recall on the camshafts a couple years ago they would pay 25hrs to remove the engine, strip down the behousing and geartrain, strip down lh side of engine to access the lifter bolts, strip down the top and preform a top set, r+r camshaft and lifter, reassemble everything and drop it back in the truck. I did one in 21 hrs just to prove i could but more common was 30 hrs or so to change out a camshaft.
    Swapped the cams on 12 or so trucks during that recall. Only had 1 that had a failure and needed extra parts. All other cams i removed looked perfect.
    Have not seen a cam failure outside of that recall yet.

markk, KB3MMX, daf105paccar and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    We had one fall under that campaign. Warranty must of not paid for EUP holdown bolts cause they sheared off two months later on rear pump and made quite a mess and tow bill! Warranty did cover parts and labor on 2nd repair. I can't complain about warranty coverage and Paccar taking care of MX issues.

KB3MMX, daf105paccar and pushbroom Thank this.
  4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Bolts were covered. I think they were also supplied in the kit. Sometimes if the pump piles up they will break the bolts.

I will agree warranty is very good with them. I have had them step up and pay for trucks that broke off of warranty even if it is just a 1 truck owner.

KB3MMX and spsauerland Thank this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Was it intake or exhaust valve that broke?

6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Was #3 hole intake lifter that failed. Driver was blowing off his load of cement and noticed a vibration. Thought it was just a u-joint in blower shaft going out. When he was done and kicked out PTO realized it was in the engine. Call dispatch(2 A.M.) and of course first instinct was to try to get other load if possible. Nowadays, if check engine light ain't on then there is no problem. He took off and realized had a dead miss so brought back to shop, but was 7 miles from dealer and 50 miles from shop. I checked it out when I got in. Fired it up and I shut it off immediately. Had fault codes for #3 misfire/torque contribution. Sounded to me like dropped valve or lifter (been around Mack ETechs so I know the sound). Had towed to dealer. They ran it and said yes has a miss, but they are slammed and will be a week. Pulled valve cover and discovered bent push tube. Pulled head and inspected valves and piston. No visible damage and valves not bent. Engine is out, new cam and lifters installed, and buttoning motor back together. They should swing engine back in Monday.

KB3MMX and daf105paccar Thank this.
  7. Rolling18

Rolling18 Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I agree, Just as the Corvette STILL uses the "antiquated pushrod" dinosaur yet look at it's performance, reliability, efficency, and maintenance!! .... all outstanding!!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. calvinbabb

calvinbabb Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Trenton, Fl.
    I will say, I love my MX13
    I now have 700k on mine and aside from normal maintenance, has given me no problem. I am considering uncorking it but none of the emissions have given me any problems. Just hoping to get better mileage after removing the cork. Gets around 7.5 mpg. I feel it could be better. I haul motorcycles so my average payload is less than 30k lbs. But am hauling with a double decker trailer which adds weight. From what I hear from the dealer, the most important thing on these engine is running the rack. If the cam somehow get damaged from not doing it, it cost big time. The motor has to be pulled cause the cam comes from the rear of the engine.

9. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have a question : what do you mean by " running the rack " ?
    I just bought a 579 '17.
    Also , is there a " best" rpm range to shift the 10 speed at ?

10. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After reading this rack stuff and some other threads, blade I paid 11k for s full engine and after treatment warranty .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.