9+ MPG Class 8 5 Axel Trucks with Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dice1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    i always get better mileage when I go downhill, especially thru the Platte River section of I80 eastbound thru Nebraska.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gasienica

Gasienica Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Not when your getting blasted with wind from the south. It's not bad bit I'd like it better if it was just blowing east.

Rear end and wheel bearing are doing awesome. Temps are lower the before and mpg is hair over 6 from primm, nv to grand island, be so far. Scaled out at 79842 and cruise is set to 79 @ 1400rpm.

Averages before where between 5.2-5.5.

Over all I'm very satisfied. Calling Craig tommorw to get my wheel bearing for the trailer.

So far I got my rears done and tractor bearings.

Tim thanks for being a pioneer.

4. Asgard Trans

Asgard Trans Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Dice1 did you ever change your setup to a tag axle in the rear? If so what are your gains with that?

5. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    No I have not done it yet because I am getting as good if not better mileage than guys who have tag axle trucks. They claim I will pick up !/2 mpg when I do that, but my opinion is that it will not give me that much because MicroBlue has already reduced alot of the friction robbing power in both rear ends.

Remember that is only my opinion and may not be what it really does if I decide to do that. I have moved that down my list of things to try and may never do that.

I have moved up doing my liners and piston/rings with MicroBlue that may gain me another 3/4 to 1 full mpg because their is alot of friction there with alot of others getting good results doing that.

6. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    What mileage are u getting nowadays Dice?

The company I drive for now are running trucks with both tags, mid lift and tandems, the lift axles are gettin 1 mpg better than the tandems on the same model scanias but keep in mind the diffs on scanias are very big and heavy so the gains on an American style diff could be minimal especially since you're using adblue so it may not be worth the conversion!

7. Asgard Trans

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for the response Dice1. I am getting ready to purchase a couple trucks and have been watching this thread since last winter I have had T-600 standups in the past with S-60 Detroits and got really good mileage with them out of the box (low 7's). I am leaning toward the T-660's just cuz I feel they are a decent aero truck to start with. The only problem is most of them have the Cummins ISX motors in them. What is your opinion on the ISX motor. Should I look for specific year models with the C series cat motor like yours?? I have never been fond of Cats just because I have not heard of very many getting good mileage out of the box. You are proof positive that they will get mileage. From the engine side is it the manifold and turbo that need upgraded and then a custom tune installed? I am just asking for opinoins on this matter to better help me make a decision on a couple trucks. Thanks for any help in advance.

Kyle

P.S. I have already talked with Craig at Microblue and will be doing Wheel Bearings, Rear Ends, Transmissions and eventually motors in that order as soon as possible.

8. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I am on track for my 3rd quarter IFTA Report to be around 9.5 mpg, but I no longer have my dedicated runs for consistancy. I did just MicroBlue treat my turbocharger with the first run not good due to my PP Box came ungrounded and stopped working. Repaired now to see if it will be better this week and I can tell a difference without in fuel mileage and performance by just driving it in just level 1.

Sorry I can't comment on an ISX motor because I have never owned one. I did own 2 trucks that Cummins N14 motors in them that I got rid of.

Cats are a great for fuel mileage once you replace the crappy exhaust manifold and the city turbocharger with less restrictive ones. Cats with their long stroke motors are great for low rpm, low boost pressure fuel mileage and the only reason Cats have a poor rep with bad fuel mileage is that are usually in a long nose Pete or KW classic driven like a Supertrucker that does not care about fuel mileage.

Keep us posted on your MicroBlue results.

Scania man Thanks this.
  9. Asgard Trans

Sep 15, 2012
    Any year models or displacements I should stay away from with the Cats? Acert?

10. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I like the pre-2003 motors and mine is a 3406E TS model Cat. I don't want any of that EGR or DEF crap on a truck.

Scania man Thanks this.
  11. Riverstick

Riverstick Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Ireland
    Hi Cowpie1....Did your glider kit arrive?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.