9+ MPG Class 8 5 Axel Trucks with Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dice1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Ribeye

Ribeye Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I wanted to relay my recent experience with the NASTC fuel rebates. I've been using the program since June. The rebates/discounts were really good while fuel was dropping last summer, sometimes as much as $0.20-.24 cents/gal., but since about August the discounts are usually like .02-.03 cents/gallon. The bigger chains like Petro/TA the rebates are always low now. Even in FL where the discounts were biggest last summer, I now see like $0.03 disc., but at the Fast Track in Madison, FL, I still got $0.10 discount on October 12.

I use the Findfuelstops-dot-com website to view current prices on my routes across the country, and fuel accordingly. If I can get a lot lower price outside the Nastc member stops, I do that. At this point, I'm not real sure I will break even on the Nastc $250 annual fee, and monthly service fee of $3.75. We'll wait and see then.

kat man Thanks this.
  3. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    When fuel prices are dropping retail, they are dropping faster wholesale. I had over a $0.30 per gallon discount last week at a Petro in OK City, OK.

It does vary and it seems to make a bigger difference when fuel is going down in prices than it does when it is going up. It is still worth it to me and it all averages out to around $0.10 to $0.15 per gallon discount off the pump prices.

Ribeye Thanks this.
  4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I got a .41 cent discount off the cash pump price last Sat evening at Flying J in LaSalle, IL. Factoring out the state fuel tax, the cost for the fuel was $3.13 a gallon.

5. willardskillard

willardskillard Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Taos, New Mexico
    12 valve people use the 2 cycle oil too.

6. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    3rd quarter 2013 IFTA = 9.57 mpg

[​IMG]

Scania man and king Q Thank this.
  7. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    Well done.
    Now, since you're in a power only deal, how many bobtail miles in that quarter?

8. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I am going to estimate around 10% to 15%. I don't like too many of those miles that hurt the revenue and I do a few roundtrips that are drop and hook with 0 BT miles too.

9. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Well done, that's great mileage

10. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Anyone have any experience converting a standard trailer axle (Hendrickson suspension in particular) to a lift axle? I'm told that mpg will increase anywhere from .5 to 1.2. I'm trying to find a shop in the Charlotte NC area to do the work, but no one, including the Hendrickson dealer, has any interest in doing this. Makes you wonder why they're in the dealer network.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.