A bit stressed out about this career move into trucking.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by K_R, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The one here in Las Vegas is doing ok also. There's four branches here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    So I just got done sending a formal and kind letter to the owner to let her know she can open the position to someone else. Something in my gut was telling me this was a bad career move and I'd bank that it was, so I'm glad I did it.

I truly believe if I invest my time and money into good training and other related credentials like TWIC, it will help me dive right into the industry vs passively making my way in.

Side story: When I graduated as Network Engineer, I learned the hard way after a lot of time wasted that when these "career job advisors" tell you to work at a call center and "work your way up" they are wasting your time and stealing your money. I was young, dumb, and impressionable so I believed it all. Shame on them, they should make best effort to land you in an entry level position and advise you at worst case, to look for a position that lands you right into the field. That isn't the type of profession you tell someone to work at a call center, take calls, and wait for the position to open up and cross your fingers that you're not under qualified. No, entry level (.) Knowing that could've saved me a lot of time and money.

So I share that to express how this DSP position is similar. It's not considered professional in the trucking industry. Just no. And it's not right for people to learn someone is persuing a professional tucking career and to lead them on to work and try to advance in a job like this. From what I've learned, for the most part step mail delivery trucks aren't CDL. And if a job doesn't even own any box trucks to haul heavy weight freight, what are they really setting you up for? I'll tell it, failure.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Meet Variant, the digital fleet transforming U.S. Xpress ...
    Meet Variant, the digital fleet transforming U.S. Xpress - FreightWaves...
    Jul 28, 2020 · Variant loads are typical dry truckload freight; Ramsdell said that drop-and-hook and trailer pools work well in the model and that live loads meeting certain parameters are also compatible. Drivers receive their loads through an app, which also provides turn-by-turn navigation and hours-of-service clock management tools.
    Variant - Transportation Service | Facebook - 31 Photos
    upload_2021-2-9_19-1-54.jpeg

Variant. February 4 at 1:21 PM·. Truck drivers work hard to keep our country moving forward, and according to this survey by CCJ Magazine - Commercial Carrier Journal, Planning and Scheduling are some of the top concerns for drivers. At Variant, …

K_R Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe Variant can use your computer skills.

K_R Thanks this.
  6. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    So I'm realizing that there are recruiters on this forum and I may have shared too much info. I'd like to have a mod either add anonymity or delete if it's not asking too much. I will possibly articulate my goals better on another thread.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This company might be more what you're qualified for now, without re-training.
    ~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    See all

Switch is a company based in Las Vegas, Nevada, that develops and operates the SUPERNAP data center facilities and provides colocation, telecommunications, cloud services, and content ecosystems.
    Founded: 2000

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Recruiters aren't allowed on this thread. If any do post, they'll be banned or redirected to the proper thread.

K_R Thanks this.
  9. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Thanks @Chinatown Unfortunately, the only exception I'd possibly consider is if it was local. One company I worked for shut down their DC here in Boca Raton after a hurricane and I was faced with moving to another state or find another job.

So that is partly the reason why I'm wanting to switch careers. Covid is my third and last layoff. You become so accustomed working at a company only to learn it's unstable and the years you put in, if you're not keeping up with your accredation you become outdated. Then it's costly to go back to school to certify in the newer technologies to stay competitive. I'm pretty much done with this industry. I don't mind work but only temp. I really want to move away from the desk. Be on the road and work with my hands a bit.

The trucking learning curve isn't nearly as steep and if you're a safe dependable hard worker, all of which I believe I am, you'll do well and earn a decent living. Stability is all I ask from my employer. If you can give me that, I will work hard to stay. And that's one thing I love about the trucking industry over IT. Many well known reliable names to choose from.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Boca Raton is nice. There was an ex-Playboy Bunny centerfold girl living there in a condo on the beach. She's old by now though.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This company is local/home daily and hires from cdl schools.
    XPO Logistics
    Riviera Beach, FL 33404
    Click ---> Apply On Company Site
    [​IMG]

K_R Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.