A journey of a new O/O with celadon

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Joe.go, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Nah, at the rates they are paying him he won't owe any taxes.

All kidding aside, unless a guy is pulling some very good freight 7 percent of gross will almost cover the tax bill. Double that once your equipment is paid off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rcross6774

Rcross6774 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    That's an all out disgrace. ..and skimming the fuel charge on top of it to add insult to injury.

RERM Thanks this.
  4. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Even at Schneider on the Choice program we're competing with company trucks.

Jonkie and CaptainDaveG Thank this.
  5. pigsooie

pigsooie Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2013
    With Celadon he is looking at the projected pay on the Qualcomm. Celadon will change the rate without the driver being notified. Plus Celadon only pays on the old Household Carrier Guild Miles.

6. Jonkie

Jonkie Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Lol ok

7. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    Good luck! Hope you do well!

8. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Lots of guys say this about Lease Ops and O/O leased on under the authority of a carrier. I am leased to a carrier myself and do very well running "cheap freight" as it is commonly called. I am not sure what freight you ran but hauling reefer you aren't going to average 2.50 a mile. It is possible you catch a customer at the right time and they pay big money but it won't be often. Most large carriers average about 2.00 per mile themselves and if you check rates on DAT this is higher than where it trends currently. And when this guy posted he made 1.23 a mile or whatever that is his percentage of the rate, so the load really paid much more from the customer; the load isn't cheap.
    Now, if you are one of those guys that needs 2.50 a mile to make it in this industry then I understand your frustration. If that is what you need and expect you'll eventually fail. Meanwhile guys like me and the new wave of O/O will continue to be profitable by adapting to changes. We are owner operators and you are no better than us. What you should be asking is what are they doing differently than me that they can still be profitable at these rates? Instead you belittle us and resist change. I get annoyed hearing this crap at truck stops, the CB, and forums. Instead of being so negative about it, learn what you could be doing different to remain profitable.

dretrucks, Jonkie, 88 Alpha and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Sorry but I'm not buying a crapacadia and living in it ....:)

10. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL

I paid a down payment and bought a truck through traditional financing, having said that, I have no bone to pick against L/P. In fact, I enjoy reading some of these threads as some, like Wicked, Sheep Dog, Freightwiper and others, inspire with their work ethic and educate others by sharing, both their success and failures.

I find myself both agreeing AND disagreeing with you Misesian....I find A LOT of Owner Operators (L/P and otherwise) think their running a truck and not a business....more often than not THAT seems to be their road to failure...The ridiculous rates some carriers pay L/P should be thought of as the price of entry to a no down payment, no credit check, purchase or rental of a 100K+ piece of equipment...

I would think all the Owner Operators with their own numbers, who fit the above mentioned characteristics are more to blame for driving down the rates (along with a host of other factors) than L/P drivers...after all, they are the ones dealing with brokers with no clue as to how much they should be charging (thereby driving down the lane rates for all, by setting new lows)...

Misesian Thanks this.
  11. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    I didn't have the patience to read all the posts. Did he quit yet? Did he go broke yet? Did he realize Quality leased to him because they know they are getting 4-5 times what the truck is worth if he some how makes it to the end? 2013 Maxforce is worth $47k with 250k miles on it. But yeah, at least he doesn't have to put DEF in it. HeeHee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.