ABF Checker/Driver + Dock/P&D vs ABF over the road??? What's better?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by freightwipper, Apr 20, 2014.

1. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    You also have a #### good rate of pay and retirement which 90% don't have.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    What's the scoop on hourly pay for P&D with the new contract?

4. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    2 years for a week's vacation. No thank you!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Could be worse. Doing this crap with zero OT after 8, Paid medical cost, Horrible equipment, Stupid coworkers, Sleeping in the truck. Work the weekends, $14hr , sub contractors.

Sure, Vacation is nice, Crap happens, Thankful have none of the above. Next contract we should vote in 20 weeks vacation, Just so someone complains about excessive.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Welcome to my world! I've got an app under review at ABF. (Fingers crossed.)

Don't really even care about the vacation. I'd just take an unpaid week off I guess.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Keep us updated.

PS- Not in your world, If HR allows, welcome to our world :eek:

8. joewispers

joewispers Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Amityville,N.Y.
    All very very interesting...

9. Grumman

Grumman Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Locust Grove, GA
    You can only take time off when you accrue it. When you go home you'd better get some sleep cause chances are you'll be back in off your ten. Starting out you're going to do mostly nights. Sometimes you go to customers along a route and swap out trailers and then continue on to a terminal. The hardest part was trying to get used to sleeping (or not) at all times of the day or night. Never drove so tired. Also if you like to listen to a radio or use a cb you have to bring your own and remove it out of each truck you drive.

10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    lets see OTR at .35 CPM with vacation after a year and nothing else

or LTL at .51-.57CPM plus paid for a lot else u do, sleep in a hotel not a truck, home more often and off for 2 days every 6 days, company paid health insurance and a pension

Shaggy Thanks this.
  11. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    I actually just started at ABF as a checker/driver. I'm not sure about other terminals but at my terminal (duncansville, PA) you have to work 4 months casual, meaning on call, at $20/hr. Then go on the union pay scale full time which is $26/hr the first year and $27/hr after that. I'm still casual and have been called in every day. Working the dock isn't too bad. I'm slow with the fork lifts so when things get crazy one of the other guys loads and I fill air pillows, put up load bars, etc. What I really like is the hourly pay and I'm home every night and the terminal isn't open on weekends so no weekend work ever (unless I need work then I can go do a carlisle, PA run on a saturday).

The hardest thing for me to get used to is learning my hometown in a truck. I have been driving 4 wheelers and motorcycles here all my life. Now doing local delivery in a truck I have to learn the truck routes to places I have gone to all my life in personal vehicles.

6 Speed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.