Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I was told that, if necessary, put in just enough to get across the state lines and have done that on a couple occasions without issue in both CA and FL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Agreed, I would be high fiving myself if I got that scale out. 25 gallons takes less than 5 mins to dispense, yeah it would be nice not to have to do that, but has to be better than going back to shipper....or chucking your personal possessions out the window.

MidWest_MacDaddy and JohnBoy Thank this.
  4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well, just found out my last trainee I had got another job. The reason? For some strange reason he had hometime 5 times since going solo, and all 5 times was days late getting home, and he lived in Memphis and was dispatched out of W Memphis. I told him he needed to do what was best for him, and he did. He quit. His fleet manager in W Memphis was fired and all her drivers were handed off to managers in Richmond. I guess after 5 home times being screwed over, he had enough. Can't say as I blame him.

5. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I was actually just coming here to ask you for advice, so this works out pretty well.

Right now, I am at the Pilot in Weed, CA, staring at Mt. Shasta out the front of my truck windshield. I plan on rolling out of here probably 8:00am Richmond time/5:00am local time.

My choices as I see them are:

A) Put a half a tank of fuel in the truck and take US395. According to the map, I won't hit a weigh station until I hit I-10, by which time I'll have burned through the half a tank of gas and will be legal again. The upside: I won't need to stop for fuel. The downside: No truck stops until Boron, CA, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

B) Nurse the gauge down I-5 to L.A. and then turn left. The upside: I won't be driving 80k up and down a bunch of mountains. The downside: I'll have to stop for fuel more often and pay close attention to the weight.

I am leaning ever-so-slightly towards (A), but I could easily be swayed towards (B) with a suitably compelling argument.

Crusader66 Thanks this.
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I'll let others fill in the details as some things might have changed... Chinatown recommended Abilene to me as well. While I am not currently driving for them, should the day come when I do go back OTR, Abilene is where I would probably end up at again.

Perfect? No,
    but
    Good Company
    with
    Great Freight
    and
    Awesome Trucks

There are several awesome Drivers here in this thread that will give you straight answers.

Take it for what it's worth.

Stay Safe,
    MD

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    slick mick and Crusader66 Thank this.
  7. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Looks like I posted my reply too late last night to get JohnBoy's input. So I'm on my own! Captain of my own ship!

After further review, I think I'm gonna head down I-5 and just refuel more often. A close inspection with Trucker's Path revealed some weigh stations on US395 that weren't on my atlas. So I actually can't drive all the way down to Boron without hitting a weigh station, and there's no place to refuel between 'em.

Think positive thoughts on my behalf.

8. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Where are you headed to for delivery? Better yet, I'll PM you my phone #. I'm up and load later today right down the road so I have time to answer your questions.

9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I would have gone with B also.

Crusader66 Thanks this.
  10. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Anyone else still waiting for their payroll deposit?. It usually hits the bank first thing in the morning, but nothing showing in my account. Looking forward to this one as it will be my biggest one yet!.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Mine was there ontime as usual. Did you call into payroll and ask about it? That's usually a sign something is amiss.

Crusader66 and Redtwin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.