Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ft. Lauderdale.
    There is a $25 extra stop pay. The most I've had was 8 on one load. Yes they burn up the clock but the paycheck didn't reflect the lost time. As i mentioned, as long as the money is there every two weeks, I don't care how I got it, miles, detention, extra stop, NYC/Canada, it all adds up.

You WILL run primarily east of the Mississippi with loads averaging 5-700 miles. Teams usually get the long West coast trips as a lot of our loads have time restraints, especially the reefer ones. Having said that, once you show them you are willing to stay out a long time and are dependable as far as on time delivery then you will start getting the longer 2,000 mile trips.

A few drivers here don't get enough of those West coast so I'm sure they will disagree with me on that. I'm just telling you what I've experienced, even if it's not what you want to hear.

Lonesome, ExtremeUnction and JohnBoy Thank this.
  2. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Heavy Load Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I've been running off recap for about a week. Last delivery was to Harrisburg, PA, dropped a trailer yesterday morning, picked up an empty in Lancaster, and deadhead back to the Richmond Yard.

I got some stuff I gotta do that I can't do on the weekends when I take actual home time, and since I was only getting 3 hours and change back on my recap last night, I planned to take a 34 once I got to Richmond.

Half an hour from the yard, get a call from dispatch. We need someone to run up to Canada. You've got *barely* enough hours to get there.

Okay, I'm a team player. Told 'em I'd need a 34 when I got back. They said "Cool with us, bro."

Grabbed the trailer off the yard, got the load assignment. It was one of those "need a time machine to make the delivery on time" assignments. Load was due in Mississauga at 9:30am. No possible way I'm making that appointment time short of installing wings and a jet engine on this bucket. Yeah, they know you'll be late. Just get it there ASAP.

Crossed the border half an hour ago. Swapped the Qualcomm to Canadian HOS. And was immediately informed that I was out of hours.

That came as quite a surprise, since every other time I've come to Canada, I've had time added to my clock.

IMG_20180305_130520.jpg

I'm guessing it's the -12:57 that's the problem. No idea what that field means, and a cursory google search was uninformative. But I've been off-duty now for 40 minutes and nothing has reset.

My phone calls to HQ have resulted in (apparently) another driver calling me, who is (I infer, perhaps incorrectly) going to try and come here with an empty trailer and swap with me.

3. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    Ft. Lauderdale.
    I never switch to Canadian HOS. I tried it once and like you, it immediately put me in violation so I quickly put it back the US time which gave me enough time to make delivery and have never bothered with it again.

ExtremeUnction Thanks this.
  4. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I already got one ticket and failed inspection in Canada, so I'm hesitant to follow your example.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  5. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Hmmm.....I always switch over with no issues. I need to research this a little deeper. I know Sean got empty today in Mississauga, it’s probably him coming to the rescue.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Same here. This is the first time it's given me any stick, and I'm pretty sure it's because I've been running on recap.

JohnBoy and Redtwin Thank this.
  7. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    Are you running more than 14 days?
    You need 24 hrs off in 14 days in Canada, that's probably the reason.

JohnBoy and Redtwin Thank this.
  8. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Yep, that'd be it. Today is Day 15.

The Kraut Thanks this.
  9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    Ft. Lauderdale.
    I haven't had a full inspection in Canada. I did get stopped by their DOT once and got two tickets but he knew what he was looking for before he stopped me. Never once asked to look at my logs.

I would have gone with. "I was told logs are based on home terminal and that is in the Eastern time zone of the USA, so that's what my logs are set to, Occifer" :angel11:

10. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I don’t think I’ve ever crossed over with more that 7 days.

The Kraut Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted