Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    Then you should be ok after 24 hours break.
    And be aware, for Canada you need a 36 hour reset, if you only take a 34 and cross the border you run on recaps in Canada.

ExtremeUnction Thanks this.
  2. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Heavy Load Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    According to Kimberly in the Safety Department, this is actually the case.

I sat at customs for an hour and a half, waiting to hear back from HQ about what was going on. Thing is, when I called HQ the first time, my fleet manager was off at lunch and unavailable. So I wound up talking to someone else. They were the ones who (apparently) put the wheels in motion to come rescue my load.

But I figured I'd probably get a better answer from my own fleet manager rather than some anonymous person who I don't know. So I called him up, said "Man, all I need is someone to tell me I can legally roll on US HOS while in Canada." He said to hold on a sec.

He called Kimberly down in safety, explained the situation to her, and then called me back. According to HQ, Canadian DOT will honor US HOS. So if I've come in from the US and I can legally roll on US hours, Canada is cool with that.

I will confess I'm a touch skeptical. Like, the speed limit in Pennsylvania on I-70 up to Breezewood is 55 mph, and it don't matter what the speed limit is in Maryland, right? So I kinda figure it's gotta be the same when it's a completely different country. When in Rome, etc.

But I have been assured that it Won't Be A Problem to run on US hours in Canada, and that's straight from our safety director, who is paid to know these things. Ideally, I'll never actually be in a situation where I get to directly verify it one way or the other.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ft. Lauderdale.
    Good that you got that cleared up,, would be better if they let drivers know up front what they may encounter in Canada. Things like registering a border crossing on the QC. Is that legal requirement?. Sometimes I do it, other times I don't remember until I am back in the US.

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I’ve never questioned with safety anything about registering a border crossing or switching over to Canadian HOS. For the most part I always do it. Sometimes, like yesterday when I crossed over at Pembina ND, I completely forgot. With the lack of drivers that are willing to go to Canada or don’t have a passport, I’m pretty sure they won’t banish those of us that do go from ever going again.

Silverdriver and Redtwin Thank this.
  5. Silverdriver

Silverdriver Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2013
    What is better to have going into Canada the regular passport or the passport chip card?

6. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    I have a passport. They both work just as good. With the card you can’t do anything but go to canada.

Lonesome and Silverdriver Thank this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    You need to educate your safety guy .. the number one out of service for HOS by Americans is the 24 hr in 14 day rule.. PS that will get you 72 hrs at the coop

Redtwin, MACK E-6 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  8. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    After an 825 mile dead head, we reloaded this morning in some little podunk town on the Illinois/Wisconsin border. On our way back to Richmond for tonight. I got a phone call from dispatch earlier letting me know my 4 drop Los Angeles is loaded and sitting on the yard. Time for another vacation.

Vic Firth, Lonesome and ExtremeUnction Thank this.
  9. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Heavy Load Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Blue Mound? DairyFoods or something? Out in the boonies?

I have an irrational fondness for that place.

10. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    That is a crazy ### long deadhead lol.

• Draft saved Draft deleted