Abilene Motor Express....A New Place To Call Home

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    So... going from Indy to Denver... my GPS is wanting me to run I-80 across but if I force it to run I-70 is seems shorter in both miles and time.

Any ideas why it’s pushing me to run the northern route when the southern route seems the preferred?

I don’t runs these two Interstates often so the answer might be obvious and I’m just missing it.

Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    It is about 65 miles shorter on I70 but it could be traffic or weather related that gps is wanting to route you I80 route. Could also be avoiding tolls since I70 in KS is a toll road part of the way.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ya, that 65 shorter is what I see too... I have Toll Roads included to I've excluded that aspect already.... {shrug} ... well, my 10 is up... time to head west.

jarhead0311 Thanks this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    who designs these small ### places for big trucks with sleepers to deliver to, that require blind side backs... ugh

and the snow plow guy didn’t clear the last 2-3’ of parking lot and used that space to pile up the removed snow... making the usable space even smaller... :-(

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    TokyoJoe and jarhead0311 Thank this.
  6. jarhead0311

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Woke up to a winter wonderland in Evanston WY this morning, lol! Was worried I wasn't going to make it over the little hills into UT. Load only weighs 5,200 lbs....finally was able to get a good gps today. Got the rand mcnally tnd 540. Truckerspath and google have gotten me by this past year but trucker path has done me wrong quite a bit. Copilot wasn't great either....no gps is totally reliable but I do feel better with this one I got today. Hoping to get this unloaded at amazon in Spokane then hometime for a few days. Gotta put the truck in the dealer too for first oil change and an alignment and software update.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  7. ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Trucker's Path uses the Google GPS software, so using them for routing is just like using Google Maps for routing. And Google Maps thinks you're driving a car and will route you accordingly.

Lonesome and jarhead0311 Thank this.
  8. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Here at the TA in Paulsboro, NJ. Surprisingly, given how often I run to and through New Jersey, this is the first time I've been here. I usually stay on the Turnpike and stop at one of the service plazas.

I have a load that delivers somewhere in the middle of Long Island tomorrow morning at 10:30am.

In theory, I am three hours away. In actual practice, I will have to drive through NYC during rush hour for some part of my drive to reach my destination. Earliest I will be able to hit the road is 5:00am, and it's 2 hours to the GW bridge. I have allocated myself five-and-a-half hours to make a three hour drive.

Your thoughts and prayers are welcome, because I expect that I will require a little divine providence tomorrow...

mitrucker, Lonesome and jarhead0311 Thank this.
  9. jarhead0311

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    That explains a lot.....I did not know that.

10. jarhead0311

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    Ill talk to the man upstairs for ya, you will def need His assistance in that area during the day...

11. ExtremeUnction

Apr 24, 2016
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Well I *would* have made fantastic time. There was the expected snarl at the GWB bridge, and the Cross-Bronx Expressway was stop-and-go. But once I hit the Throg's Neck Bridge it was smooth sailing.

Right up until I ran into the tractor-trailer fire on the Long Island Expressway that had three of four lanes blocked...

MACK E-6 and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.