Advice For Getting Along With Dispatchers

Discussion in 'Storage Trailer' started by FastFossil, Sep 1, 2005.

1. FastFossil

FastFossil Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Not knowing much about the trucking industry, it just seems to me that the dispatcher and driver have to be very important to the success of the company. Therefore everything the driver and dispatcher can do to help each other makes the other look good! Does that make sense?

Personal appearance has always been important to me (I suspect my time in the military has something to do with it) and I know even if it isn't possible or if it's difficult to shower you can always shave, put on clean clothes and use a couple of cans of deoderant prior to a delivery or going into someones office.

I have done a lot of traveling over the years and during the past several months, since deciding on embarking on a 'second' career as an OTR driver I have paid attention to truckers at rest areas and truck stops....there are a lot of slobs out there and there are a lot of guys you see that maintain a good personal image even though you know they are dragging ###....I don't think it takes much more effort to maintain yourself than to just let yourself go....to each his own.

Do you guys know of any other trucker forums on the web?

Again thanks for the input and I know there are other newbies out there sucking up this info....the more we know going in the better off we'll be...

8)
    Jim

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Decent appearance is a must. As far as I am concerned, I can't expect to be treated as a professional unless I look like one. We have a uniform, and I wear it at work. It's not complicated, just a pair of khaki slacks, a company shirt, and neat shoes. But I carry spare clothing in the truck, and if I get dirty or in some other way unsuitable, I change clothes. Many of my customers have showers for their employees, and I use them to clean up. It's a matter of pride in your appearance, and it shows up in the way that you handle yourself. I don't have much tolerance for the guy in grubby socks and sandals, cut off sweeat pants, and a dirty Jack Daniels T shirt that shows up, and it';s pretty clear they don't get treated as well by the customers as someone who dresses neatly and acts like a professional.

As for other web sites, www.trucknet.com is a pretty decent forum, though there are a couple of regulars there that are kind of negative on trucking. Don't know why they spend time on a trucking site with their feelings, but they do. www.layover.com is another site, not very active and there can be some real goofballs on there. www.classadrivers.com isn't too bad, some good advice there, but the guys seem to get into more strange situations than any other site I know of. And www.truckstopusa.com is a fairly new site, about the same number of posters as here. But they seem to attract the types that want to have a strike to solve everything every day. Kind of a kiddie truckers site more than any other. This one, and the first one listed are the only ones I post on much, with an occasianal comment on Layover.

4. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Oh, one last thing then I promise to leave this subject alone for a while. Asking the dispatcher "how much does it pay" each time you talk about a load really tends to grate on their soul. It makes it sound like you only want to take the high paying loads (which you obviously do!) and leave someone else the poorer paying ones. My advice is that if the company hasn't made a habit of screwing you with bad paying loads, just take the load and see what it paid afterwards. If you didn't make what you feel you should of for the effort you put in, then you might not want to run that load again. But most times I make out okay, and I don't ask what a specific load pays. Since I work on percentage, if I didn't make enough on a load, then the odds are the company didn't make enough either. We drivers are encouraged to report when we don't feel the load paid enough so the sales dept can look into it and see if the rate needs to be adjusted for the effort involved. My truck should make about 65-70 per hour for it's work, and we keep than number in mind when running.

Of course, you have to take into account the conditions of a load before saying it doesn't pay enough. Our hourly wage is calculated at 16 per hour, so I look at what a load pays, the time I spend, and divide those to get my per hour income. If I make out okay, then great. But I may do less for a load where I can unload quickly, the clerks are fast, and the silo takes better pressure. And I may have a preload 7 miles away, so I factor that into what I get paid for a load.

I don't expect to get rich on each load, but take a long term view of what I make. I know there are some loads that don't pay as much, but they still have to be moved. Sometimes, those customers have other lucrative loads, so it all balances out in the long run.

Everett Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.