Aftermarket NOX sensors?? Are they worth it, or should I buy OEM?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, Feb 9, 2021.

1. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I have used many Dorman nox sensors with great success. If you read closely the "Volvo" brand sensors on Ebay are a pic of a sensor next to a Volvo box or bag and it says "new" or "OEM replacement"

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Dorman seems to be only for Cummins.

4. Truckwork2461

Truckwork2461 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2021
    No. I’ve seen them result in costly and timely diagnostics or repairs chasing an after treatment issue when what it came down to was the aftermarket nox sensor that was new!

5. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I just put the oem Volvo ones in, $1185.89, installed them myself.

6. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    CEL went out about 2/3 of the way through my day.

7. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Erie,
    I replaced the Nox sensor myself few times in my 2008 and 2010 D13, but still have issues not regening in cold below 40s degrees, this time of the year im running on parked regen and truck not pulling properly, maybe gets too much egr flow messing the combustion which i understand drops EGT and doesn't reach regen temp.
    I read this comment on bigmacktrucks forum, i understand the Nox need programming after replacement?!!! :eek: I asked the technicians at local Volvo, they told me the Nox doesn't need programming because the ECm has self learning capacity, but doesn't seem right.
    Any tips, plz what other components need programming after replacement? Egr valve other sensors? i know the turbo actuator has a special procedure.. I don't have vcads, going to take it to shop this week have the "reset learning data" done..

below the link i read on Mack forum;
    "The Nox sensor is in the outlet pipe of the DPF. It just screws in the pipe and has a small ecu mounted on the inside of the frame rail. The ecu is about the size of a credit card but thicker. Its an easy job, the hardest part is getting the sensor out of the pipe. After replacing the sensor reset the learned data. "Reset learned data" is on the same menu page as fault codes (the first page) under fault codes. Click on reset learned data and when the page comes up hit the start/play button. You wont see anything other then "are you sure you want to do this" icon, click yes and thats it."

2008 volvo d13 nox sensor
    ..........................................................................................
    Also after watching this video by OTR i read the comment section, see this post on comment section

"polarisboy671 year ago
    Replacing nox sensors require a data set relearn for the nox sensors. And the sensors have been updated so If the truck has old style sensors like in the video both must be replaced they cannot be missed matched."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    in this video at time 0:28 shows the list of components to reset, NOx sensor is on list;
    Stop video play at time 0:28 see the list on the right in "Description" : " Reset the relevant service parameters after one or more of the following components has beed replaced or serviced"

and the DPF filter needs reset after service /replacement, i replaced it myself without computer work;Hmm, no good, this trucks are way too computerized .... :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  8. Hye

Hye Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2021
    90% of nox sensors on ebay are fake... some of them are inoperative out of package.

9. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I didn't do a reset or a regen. I just replaced them, and the computer learned that they were now working and turned off the CEL. There is probably an inactive code in the computer now.
    I can't answer your other questions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.