And away we go…another Walmart Transportation thread

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by BreadMakesMePoop, Apr 17, 2024.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Good for you. We've all heard it a million times. It ain't for everybody.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I meant to tell you a senior driver told me one day that if I end up on a 5/2 schedule after redbid - where I always work weekends (I did) - to keep in mind that I can ask for one Saturday/Sunday off per month and they have to give me one. I can cover it with PTO or take it unpaid but company policy is you get that once a month. Managers won't tell you about it. A lot of them don't even know about it and will have to look it up to confirm.

That's not just at my DC either it's company wide policy. Imo Sat/Sun weekends are overrated anyways. Can't see the doctor or dentist on Saturday or Sunday and have to burn PTO to go see them during the week if those are your off days. Imo Friday and Saturday is the ideal "weekend". I also talked to a friend of mine I went thru onboarding with in Seymour. He ended up in Coldwater, MI and nothing bad to say, quiet the opposite in fact.

BreadMakesMePoop Thanks this.
  4. jande016

jande016 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I am a new Walmart driver, I've only been with them for 90 days.
    So far everything is as good as everyone told me it was before I got hired. Good money, good schedule (out 5, home 2) Very pleasant office staff and drivers, good miles etc.
    I've worked for numerous trucking companies and Walmart is honestly the best I've worked for so far. The only negative is the slip seating. However, I have the same truck for my entire workweek (unless it breaks down) so at least I'm not switching trucks daily.
    I don't mind the slip seating as much as I used to. I have a system I use as far as what I bring with me each week and how I bring it so that helps.
    Nobody bothers me...no dispatcher nagging me, nobody pressuring me to drive longer etc.
    The PTO is fantastic.
    I work out of Centralia.

5. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    How much money ?
    Tell us the numbers please

6. viper822004

viper822004 Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Texas
    I work for a Cryo outfit and Walmart seems like a walk in the park

7. jande016

jande016 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I'm on track to make between $100-$110K this year.

viper822004 and Kenworth6969 Thank this.
  8. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    With Wal-Mart being so Safety Conscious, which I believe they are, I'm surprised in Ca. they allow you guys to speed at 64-65 MPH. Then when it snows on Donner all the Wal-Mart trucks run 45 MPH with chains on in the 30 MPH chain control limit. I would think the landing gear thing or missing a lug nut check is less of a safety issue than the speeding...:dontknow:

viper822004 Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    All of those are saftey issues but some drivers do what they do. Bye bye saftey bonus if they get a ticket or injury. That saftey bonus is equal to about an extra $1,000+/- per quarter on the paycheck so $4,000 extra a year just for doing the job without screwing up is pretty good motivation for a lot of people.

lual and viper822004 Thank this.
  10. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Walmart allows us to pilot our own ship. If some drivers choose to ignore traffic laws, then they may have to face consequences if they get a citation. And no, WM doesn't outright terminate drivers who get a citation...the end result depends on the citation and any previous corrective measures.

This comment made me chuckle. I've literally crossed Donner hundreds of times with WM in the winter with chains on in the past 5 years, and I've never seen 1 Walmart driver running that fast with chains on. I can't say what EVERY WM drivers speed is with chains on, but I never run faster than 30-35...and I'm not getting passed by other WM trucks.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.