Anybody have automatic snow chains?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Each wheel position has an air chamber similar to a small brake chamber, plus the arm that swings under. And they only throw the chains under 1 tire so you’d need them on both axles and all that weighs quite a bit more than a set of good 3 rail chains.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Who needs chains when by the time you are at the bottom starting up the hill and almost hitting the slick stuff you have so much iron stuck in your tires it looks like studs sticking out?

Long FLD Thanks this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    People told me these don’t work either. Worked just fine for me. Now that being said I don’t go to the Rockies often and don’t want to carry rusty old chains around all winter. 0153584A-FC24-4258-ABD7-BB4D3F506067.jpeg

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    A guy that rents a building from me runs a fire truck service and repair business. Lots of fire trucks have the automatic chains, he says they cause a lot of problems and don't work very well.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Easy now, easy. Some of us like to take those loads.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    That looks to be the high tech redneck solution to me. But I don't think all states except them. If they do, I'd try those. Carry seven freaking chains, cause in Washington you have to carry a spare of all things.

8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    As far as I know they're legal in every state, at least that's what I was told. Never had a problem with DOT accepting them in any western state. The winter of 2016-17 was a bad one and I got to use them a lot and never had a problem.

The combined weight of the 6 units installed is around 350 pounds, so not a big problem for weight.

Rounded_nut Thanks this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    It sounds like we have one fellow who has significant experience with them and likes them. And then we have several drivers who have little or no experience, like me, who have seen, heard and tasted all kinds of 2nd hand information about them and come to all sorts of conclusions.
    If the loads pay more for going through conditions cited, and the weight penalty and additional investment and maintenance cost are recovered then it is worth it
    The factor that is being ignored is the additional risk running in those conditions.
    For me it isn't.

10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I'm not sold on the auto chains at all. I like the tire socks though.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    When I was using them, there were 2 times that made me realize that if I ever had a truck of my own that I would find a way to get them on my truck.

I was stuck in SLC for a day and a half because 80 east was closed to blizzard conditions. When they finally opened it I headed out, and just east of SLC there is a large pull-off where they were making all the trucks exit and chain up before proceeding. There must have been 100 trucks lined up to get in there and it was complete gridlock. I managed to find a hole through the center of the pack and engaged my chains and rolled through everybody as they chained up in the dark. A highway patrolman stopped me and asked where I was going, and I said I have auto-chains. He gave them a quick look and flagged me through. Everybody else was stuck in there for at least another hour in the gridlock and I was one of the only trucks going over the summit by the time I got there.

The other time was also on 80 east in Wyoming and there were high winds and a thin sheet of ice on the road. I kept my speed low, but going down a grade I was gradually starting to pick up speed and couldn't use my jakes to slow down. So I engaged the chains at about 40 mph and was able to slow down easily. I looked in my mirrors and saw a FedEx with doubles sliding sideways down the grade a half mile behind me.

I was sold on them after that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.