Anyone do orientation in Carlise, PA for Schneider?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by hsingh_2, Aug 1, 2022.

1. hsingh_2

hsingh_2 Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2021
    By the time i start, I will be less than 280. IF, they say I have to get it done, is it something that is done right then and there? Like would I still be able to continue the orientation process?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Mostly the fitness also depends on the account you signed up for. Some of the bigger guys couldn't do basic functions like getting under the trailer to double check the 5th wheel lock or getting in and out of trailers. Which you will do even if it is a so called no touch account. There will be locations you deliver to that will require your empty trailer to be swept out.
    They accpeted my ME card, just make sure it's current and from a recognized ME via the department of transportation. I was at the Charlotte OC for the CAT program. A lot of drivers quickly got culled on day 1 from substance use test failures. Some got delayed for the CPAP issues/concerns.

For us First week was in classroom learning the Schneider processes, tablet, paper log etc. 2nd week was in the yard and out and about to get used to driving and backing with some Pre Trip practice thrown in. Third week if they have enough TE's you will go out with them and every situation will be different. If CAT program 4th week is testing out for the CDL. Otherwise you will get assigned a truck once one is available and when your day 1 is.

Saying you're 280 doesnt mean much. How tall? You a strong man competitor or ex IT pro? BMI is a guberment BS standard that takes nothing into account. It just takes your weight, age and measurement and gives you a score. No consideration for muscle to body fat ratio. But you can do a quick search on google to find your guberment BMI score.

surf_avenue Thanks this.
  4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    No, it won't delay the process and isn't done right there. It probably won't even be done in the first few months. It was 9 months before they followed up on mine. I don't think they even have you submit your information to their sleep provider until at least the the 60-day mark, when they have you do a checkup call with someone from safety. From what I understand, they send you a monitor that you wear while you sleep for one night, either at home or in the truck. They analyze the data from that to look for signs of sleep apnea.

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @John Joel Glanton --

Based on your feedback in post #6 above--you really ought to maybe start a separate thread, and give feedback on what your experience is really like--if you are going into Schneider's tanker group.

I'm sure other new drivers later going into the "Big Orange" would appreciate that info quite much.

Think about it....

--Lual

John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  6. System76

System76 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2019
    I was in Carlisle last year for inexperienced orientation. I had room be myself. Our class started with 21 people and we finished whole orientation with 6 people. We already loose about 6 people first day (drug test, paperwork) related
    - Make sure you wake up early and catch the bus from hotel.
    - You will have lunch, but not dinner
    - Always listen instructors, and ask if you are not sure about anything

And one very important thing, if you don't like something, go and talk to orientation manager. I had problem, because I didn't want to sleep with TE in the same truck every night. I found manager, explained to him that I don't feel comfortable, and my last week when I was with TE, I was every night sleeping at hotel.

John Joel Glanton, hsingh_2 and Opus Thank this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You'll find that Schneider can be a real accommodating bunch, just got to speak up.

gentleroger, 48Packard and hsingh_2 Thank this.
  8. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    I decided on OTR Van. But I see that Schneider is now paying hourly for tanker which seems like a good deal. I was told $26 per hour while driving and $15 while on duty. I guess they don't want tanker drivers rushing and chasing miles, which is good. I just don't feel like going to tanker orientation and hauling chemicals around at the moment. I will stick with what I know. Actively pursuing LTL line haul jobs and I'm gone as soon as I get one. I am tired of sleeping in parking lots next to rumbling trucks and listening to the mutant parked next to me brushing his teeth hacking and spitting all over the ground. Schneider was a good company to start with and they have treated me well so far. Good luck guys. Any questions feel free to ask.

9. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I'm not disputing some of the flaws in the BMI Standard but I am disputing the source of BMI.

It's not a "guberment" score/standard. It is from the medical field. Does the "guberment" use it as a reference. Sure. Just like blood pressure, hearing, vision etc...

gentleroger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.