Anyone have any questions for a ROEHL trainer?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Viking84, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mattfield80

mattfield80 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Kernersville NC
    sorry for being off topic but im scheduled for orientation next Monday, the 11th....its on the southeastern fleet. my question concerns apus....does Roehl have them? how do they work? never had one. im used to home daily day cab work.....id like to get a 19 inch flat screen and bring my playstation along with me to play some while im out during the week...will a 400 w power inverter work for that? thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. noobdriver

noobdriver Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2014
    joemama,angiedaddy

BUMP
    I, too, would like to know about the Prostar with battery APU vs the FL with the ParkSmart or whatever it's called.
    Do the prostars have the autostart option? Is the inverter really programmed to run for two hours, then shut off and become unusable for the next 8 hours?

I've heard the ParkSmart can only run for max 8-10 hours if you're lucky. Any truth to this? If so, is it best to just rent a roach motel for a full restart?

4. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    A simple 150W inverter runs my laptop, phone charger, 19" flat screen, dvd player and printer when I need it. This will plug into the accessory plug and needs no special attention. Take a look at the power draw on your playstation, it will be located on the unit usually where the power cord come out. If you are lucky it will give you the wattage, if not you will need to figure it out by multiplying the amps times the voltage.

There are many 12 volt appliances you can get at the truck stops that will allow you to cook food and make hot drinks.

5. noobdriver

Aug 3, 2014
    joemama,angiedaddy
    Thanks for the info, Preacher Man.

@mattfield80: My PS3 looks like it needs 300watts peak, but draws 120watts. I don't have a PS4.

Look into pure sine wave inverter info, too. I've heard that can be important. I ran a PS3 and 19" TV off of an 1800watt inverter and it worked fine. I couldn't run a microwave at the same time.
    I think Roehl only allows 1200watt inverters and it has to be installed(and purchased) through them. Also, someone told me their inverters will only run for 2 hours with 8 hours break to restart. I hope whoever told me that was kidding. I don't know how to use split sleeper, much less run it on an appliance.
    I'd like to hear more feedback if anyone can offer it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. crazw

crazw Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    What happens with an elog violation of driving over your 14? Slap on the hand or suspension

7. noobdriver

Aug 3, 2014
    joemama,angiedaddy
    I've heard it's OOS violation and big fines that the driver must pay, and fines that the carrier must pay(and will ruin your career). There's always that "safe haven" thing. But it better be close to the last truck stop you passed. And, if you drove 14 hours, at least you got a good paycheck.

I don't think there's a license suspension, but I'm pretty sure the company will suspend you indefinitely.

But, I don't really know.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. Beedubyah

Beedubyah Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I drove a 2012 FL with the EPU and experienced quite a few problems. The batteries would run too low to operate the system and would be useless. The FL did not have an autostart so that added to the problem. I now drive a 2013 Prostar and I have to admit that the EPU in the PS is definitely better! Plus the PS has autostart! The AC will freeze you out and the heat will drive you out, so you have to get the control of the unit down pat!

9. noobdriver

Aug 3, 2014
    joemama,angiedaddy
    Thanks for the info, BW.

I appreciate it.
    Do you still drive for Roehl or are you just being a good guy?

I'm heading towards Gary, IN tomorrow in a rental car. With 718 miles to cover in 3 days. I told recruiter that I could do it, almost, in one day legally at 63 MPH and definitely in two.
    When do they accept people at the motel in Gary?

10. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Going over on hours depends on how long. Yes it is an out of service, but that is because you are out of hours. In that regard 1 minute is the same as 3 hours. There is no such thing as a safe haven provision in the law, when your hours are up they are up. Most drivers use the last hour of the day to start looking for a place to shut down. Are you asking about the DOT, or Roehl? With DOT it will depend on the officer, when the violation occurred, how severe the violation is and how often you have committed violations. Here's a news flash for you- you will go over on hours at some point. In fact I was 3 minutes over last Saturday. I simply put a note in my log and moved on. I couldn't park at the customer and I knew the only parking I was going to find in Atlanta was at Ellenwood. Sure enough I ran out of hours as I was pulling onto the exit ramp.

I was going through a level 2 at Litchfield IL when another driver was being cited for being 3 hours over on his hours. The violation had happened a few days prior so he wasn't put out of service and they didn't fine him. However it did go on his CSA. It may, or may not ruin your career depending on the violation. In fact an OOS isn't always an OOS. Sometimes it is just, "Son, your day is done. I better not see that truck move for the next 10 hours. Sleep well." My suggestion is be safe, stay legal and if you get pulled in for an inspection be friendly with no attitude. It also helps to be organized. You are human and sometimes you will think you have plenty of time to get somewhere only to have life reach up and bite you. Get shut down as soon as you can, take your 10 live and learn.

11. noobdriver

Aug 3, 2014
    joemama,angiedaddy

Thanks, man.

I've only driven auto tranny trucks and only have a few month's experience "out on the road". But thanks.

Good story.
    Thanks for your experience OTR.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.