APU. Noise and fumes.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Dec 11, 2016.

1. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    APU is for driver comfort, the ability to keep a fridge running all the time without worrying about battery drain, sleeping in the summer in states that don't allow idling, and yes, saving money.
    You really think it's not hard on a motor to idle all the time? Especially with dpf equipment?
    APU burns 1/5 of the fuel, so even with cheap fuel prices a guy can save an extra 15-20$ a night worth of diesel. So even being home 2 nights a week could still potentially save 3-5k a year. Even with the limited maintenance required of a tripac that's a 3 year return on investment. Even quicker return when you calculate in being able to push out oil changes a bit of the truck engine, and even faster return when fuel prices inevitably go back up.

Terry270, lilillill and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Is Wabasco a milder version of Tabasco? lol

4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The idea behind Apu is just as good as the idea behind emission systems. The problem is the same. The simply don't work as they should. But seriously, they louder than my idling engine. And I am talking about the perfect temperature to sleep until birds start chirping rather than freezing night. How about shutting off the truck and enjoying the silence?

5. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I don't even know the right nomenclature. But this thing is scary too. Will I not wake up one day poisoned by CO?

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I understand. I was pulling a noisy reefer one time, so parked wayout in the open away from other trucks. Some flatbed guy parked right next to me, then asked me to turn the reefer unit off. I explained to him that I had refrigerated foods coming out of Florida, so can't turn the unit off. He still complained as he crawled back into his sleeper. Plenty of places to park, but he wanted right next to me.

7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I was pulling horrible reefers too and did have qualms about where to park not to upset anybody. not that I would shut it off at someone's request but I still considered others if possible. But as soon as you switch to a dry van you are getting spoiled. Once your brothers in arms, now your enemies.

x1Heavy, Chinatown and wore out Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Ok. I found myself another quiet spot next to a tanker. I kind of regret starting this tread for being misunderstood but for now I'll check out. And good silent night everbody.

x1Heavy and wore out Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes Sir. EPA from Dear old Uncle Sam.

Remember we considered those #### things too fancy and never used them in our day. Just set the rpm to 1200 and went to bed. Cheaper than a hotel bill.

If I ever wanted a APU on the rig, it should provide house power 120 volt as well as maintain the engine block temperature in addition to heating and cooling off the same fuel (Desiel.)

I do understand those things are loud. I ran a Generac 12500 watt peak to feed my entire house in power outages but had enough acreage so that the sound field dissipated over 700 feet before reaching anyone. Our City brought in trailers with engines on them larger than our cars and trucks to pull water from the wells at the same time too. Shakes the ground they did.

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I just noticed the guys beside me does sound like a 3.5 Briggs on a 20 inch cut mower. As hard as it died had to shake the truck. The carrier on the front of my reefer doesn't shake that bad

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You would think they will build a patch cable to feed tractor with reefer unit. Win win.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.