Are Rookies taught how to use a clutch brake anymore?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel_weasel, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    No one ever accused you of not having control of your vehicle, but in one of your earlier posts you said that you coast to a stop in neutral so that you can find another gear should the light turn green... Why the hell do you need to be in neutral to do that???? But if it works for you then to each his own...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah you can tell someone whose always driven a synchro gear box because usually don't wait the 5 - 8 seconds for a road ranger gear box to stop moving and just jam it into gear bet they'd learn quick if they were sent the bill for replacing all the chewed up gears.

4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    :biggrin_2559:

5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    So I wasn't the only one that caught that!:yes2557:

6. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    clutch brake? i thought you were just suppose to "grind em til you find em"

7. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    My truck does have power steering, and self-cancelling turn signals. :biggrin_25525:

And if your service brakes aren't stopping you, you're in the wrong gear. A good rule of thumb to use when going down a hill is to go down in a gear lower than the gear you went up the hill with. For example, my truck climbs in 6th gear, so when I go down I'm in 5th. If I go down Donner's Pass in 5th and then turn on the engine brake, the engine brake will actually stop the truck.:biggrin_2559:

8. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    This is funny i only use the clutch to engage the 1st gear from a stop and it doesnt get touched after that.To stop I keep one foot on the brake one on the gas and turn on the jakes I basically slow doen proggresively to go from 6 to 5 i disengage the gear by holding the truck slightly with the foot brake while pressing the gas slightly till it lets go of it then keep the gas on slightly while still slowing the truck down slightly and the gears go in like butter the process only takes 2 seconds and then release all pedals jake will slow the truck down then repeat the process again.First time i ever hear of a clutch brake.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  9. Freebird135

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    whatever works for you i guess.......

a little tap of the fuel will almost always allow you to pull it into neutral with no problem.......but if you like the 12 step program for finding neutral thats cool too

10. diesel_weasel

diesel_weasel Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    %

Not trying to be a ########...If you climb a 6% grade and descend a 9% on the other side, that rule does not always apply...you my want to drop an extra 2 or three gears...

just food for thought

11. Freebird135

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    come on driver, those little sayings are always accurate.......

just like "add up the 2 numbers of the speed you are going, that is what gear you should be in"

51 mph=6th gear:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.