Axle bushings

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Metalicious, Jan 18, 2023.

1. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    The bushing can be binding if worn past "normal wear", unfortunately unless modified there is no provision for lubing these bushings. This binding can cause the jerking feeling as well as not being able to align that axle properly.

Rideandrepair and Metalicious Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Thank you. I will be sure to have them replaced. The alignment shop did say I'd probably need them when or maybe before I get tires again. I think my front shocks are bad too. I feel something in the steering wheel but smooths out nice after I hit 70.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    Update, took my truck to the shop again. They said my tierod assemblies and rear engine mounts were bad. This was after another shop said my kingpins were bad. The shop I trust where I'm getting tierods and motor mounts replaced said the kingpins are fine. Come to think of it, I did notice often in curves I would get what felt like wheel wobble on front end. I thought it was because I was on the throttle, when coming out of curves.

This of course also means not to go back to that alignment shop again. They should have been able to tell me about the tierod ends when they did the alignment.

5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Alignment Solutions in Kansas City did a pretty good job with my truck. Chad will actually go over the truck with you, and he understands how all of the parts are supposed to work together and make sure they're fixed before doing an alignment. It was entirely different from my other experiences, where I just hand them the keys, then pick the truck up later with maybe a printout of the results. I ended up getting kingpin bushings and the wear pads on the drive axle replaced at the tire place that is at the same address, and I'm satisfied with the quality and speed of the work and the price. A lot of other people on this site recommend going here, and the Google reviews are pretty high.

I've had places tell me my kingpin bushings were fine, but they pretty much had to be through process of elimination. They would put a bar underneath the tire and pull with a slight amount of play. But when something was placed underneath the tire, and the bar was used as a lever, I could see and hear the problem. Probably has something to do with the bar providing only upwards force instead of being pulled upwards and inwards.

Siinman and Metalicious Thank this.
  6. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    The fella that checked my kingpins or says that's what he was doing jacked up one side of front axle. Put a prybar through the whole in the rim, across top of brake drum and was moving the wheel and tire that way. He didn't do it from the bottom of the tire. Then immediately give me some crazy number for parts and labor insisting I need to replace my steer tires. I don't. They will be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.