Backing up without painted lines or markers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Intothesunset, Sep 20, 2019.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Wouldn't me either, LoL. Stick to cones, triangles (don't forget'em) or your paint and pink zebra tape, LoL~! ;)

FlaSwampRat and Intothesunset Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I have problems to. I aligned my broom stick handle to the dock. Works for me every time

starmac and Intothesunset Thank this.
  4. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    I always look for old tire Mark's Theyll be something where all the tires have been

starmac, sirhwy, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  5. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I was never a natural backer. Probably amongst the worst in my 18 person CDL class.

It just takes practice. I did and still do observe the pros backing often.

But, I have always been a hands in learner no matter what the subject is. Learning math, a foreign language, sports, writing, reading, ext. ext. - I always had to actually engage in these activities and do them AND FAIL OFTEN for me to get better.

Also, my trainer told me this during training - If you're worried about backing into a spot with no lines in some kind of parking lot, you can always say this:

"I'm backed in straight. It's the guy beside me who is crooked."

Lol

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I look for lines between cement slabs, when they were poured. But they’re not always square to building. Gravel, make your own line. Usually it’s an optical illusion. No lines, I back in, thinking I got it close, and am amazed how crooked the building is. Lol. Some days better than others.I take my time.Seems when I do great maneuvers, no ones ever around to see.Its a thankless Job. Lol.

Lepton1, Swine hauler and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's difficult for everyone. 90% of drivers just park along the curb and call other drivers suckers for worrying about it.

Swine hauler and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Ever try a flatbed dock.
    Spread axle and a black hole and 2 inches a side for wiggle room.

tinytim, starmac, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  9. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    Unless it’s a new facility with no tire marks this works very well. I’ve used nearly every odd item as mentioned above, including a rock, or an observed crack in the cement, once I laid my hammer down on the ground and aimed for that. Good backing is all in the set up, so if you set up (initial position prior to reverse) properly and aim for whatever item you’ve placed where you think the end of the line should be, you should be home free.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    No,Perfectly normal..Your eyes can deceive you doing this- I did it backing into docks before- You think your perfectly square- Then your off a few inches....
    Lines help a bunch-

FlaSwampRat, Intothesunset and sirhwy Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Even IF a facility has lines painted, there is no guarantee they are perpendicular to the dock. I have run into situations where those lines can be 10° or more off perpendicular.

In broad daylight use whatever object comes to hand, a rock or crushed coke can, get out and look at the situation and place that object right about where you think is 90° to the dock on your driver's side.

At night use cheap "glow sticks". Lay them on the ground so you can hopefully barely miss them. Frequently I have had complex night time backing situations that required all six of my glow sticks, my headlamp, and my high power spot light. Those were generally where I needed to make "S" curves around expensive equipment before setting up to a dock (dry van) or narrow loading bay (flatbed).

GOAL the #### out of it. Place as many markers as you need.

ZVar and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.